Brit needs a bank account
Posted: 18 May 2008 11:55 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-05-18

We are saving to move to spain in 18months and visit regularly vetting areas etc. We have an amount already saved for our move and want to deposit it a spanish bank account. It doesnt have to have loads of facilities, as we just basically want it to sit there til we move over.
Do we need a Spanish address to do this? Also is this money then traceable in the uk, as trying to keep it from the ex wife.
Cheers

Posted: 18 May 2008 12:24 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

No you dont need a Spanish address to have an account.

The banks are sharing more information now - so thats a tricky one. Why not open it in your new partners name. Open a savings account pays more interest.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 18 May 2008 12:48 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-05-18
ROBI - 18 May 2008 12:24 PM

No you dont need a Spanish address to have an account.

The banks are sharing more information now - so thats a tricky one. Why not open it in your new partners name. Open a savings account pays more interest.

Thanks for that, not sure about putting it in her name as it would have implications on her finances in the uk also.
I see your into property, you dont know anyone in the business renting out propertys on the Costa Dorads area do you? Visiting that area for a change in July and need somewhere nice to stay.
Thanks

Posted: 18 May 2008 02:01 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

No sorry - bit out of our area.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 18 May 2008 02:24 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

[quote Thanks for that, not sure about putting it in her name as it would have implications on her finances in the uk also.
I see your into property, you dont know anyone in the business renting out propertys on the Costa Dorads area do you? Visiting that area for a change in July and need somewhere nice to stay.
Thanks

tax man that have to share it with
non Residents account is what you have to set up 1 uk passport , 2 uk address 3 yourself
get the account in a bussines address

Posted: 18 May 2008 02:46 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-05-18
jurdyr - 18 May 2008 02:24 PM

[quote Thanks for that, not sure about putting it in her name as it would have implications on her finances in the uk also.
Thanks

tax man that have to share it with
non Residents account is what you have to set up 1 uk passport , 2 uk address 3 yourself
get the account in a bussines address

Sorry didnt really understand that reply about the tax man and business address, we dont have a business.

Posted: 18 May 2008 05:46 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

uk tax man see every thing now adays in spain , dont have a business. then just get the non Residents account

Posted: 18 May 2008 10:16 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Or set up a holding company to keep assets. It’s just another layer that anyone who’s really determined can get through, but I bet it would help protect your savings as well as save you some money in taxes.

I also wanted to note that with the exchange rates being what they are, buying Euros isn’t advised for the moment if you can help it. Then again it could always get worse too!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 29 May 2008 05:24 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2007-07-25

I wouldn’t attempt to hide it from the ex wife by having it in your name. The UK can legally ask for details on a bank accounts of the expats so if she gets a sniff about it, an accountant or lawyer would be able to find this account.

Like someone said previously, have it in your new partner’s name (so long as you trust her to do so).

You only need an NIE to open a bank account and it should be fairly simple for you to open a NON-RESIDENCIAL account, some banks like Santander though will charge you a ?15 a year fee for being a non-resident. However, we were with Caja Granada for 7 years and we had a mortgage with them, we were never charged a fee for having a non resident account. It may just be Santander that does this or it could be different amounts depending on the bank.

Signature 

Scoliosis Support Network
Online Gaming Jobs

Posted: 29 May 2008 09:52 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

NON-RESIDENCIAL account, Dont need a NIE no but you used the an address in the Uk , just a passport , it change with few off the bigger banks
again used a mates address in the uk and it sould be bite hard to fine ...... change you passport no aswell
but if you in payment off kids and you holding out .... you be hit and
jurdy

Posted: 30 May 2008 12:36 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16
Fruity - 29 May 2008 05:24 PM

I wouldn’t attempt to hide it from the ex wife by having it in your name. The UK can legally ask for details on a bank accounts of the expats so if she gets a sniff about it, an accountant or lawyer would be able to find this account.

Like someone said previously, have it in your new partner’s name (so long as you trust her to do so).

You only need an NIE to open a bank account and it should be fairly simple for you to open a NON-RESIDENCIAL account, some banks like Santander though will charge you a ?15 a year fee for being a non-resident. However, we were with Caja Granada for 7 years and we had a mortgage with them, we were never charged a fee for having a non resident account. It may just be Santander that does this or it could be different amounts depending on the bank.

I also have a non-resident account and a mortgage with Caja Granada and I do have to pay a charge - don’t know if the system has changed or you were just lucky and they overlooked it when you were with them.  It’s 8 euros every six months.  I also pay about 3 euros a year to have two ATM cards.  I think these charges are pretty standard wherever you go. You don’t get an overdraft facility, by the way, and there’s no interest paid on your balance.  This makes it sound like a poor service, but I like the Caja - these little banks know everyone in the area and they can be very helpful with buying/building/renovating and, probably, starting a business.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 May 2008 06:51 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2007-07-25

How strange that you are charged and we were not. It was never mentioned, perhaps this had something to do with the mortgage we had we took over from the previous owner and it was simply a name change. If he was a resident, perhaps this was then overlooked.

It seems the banks charge a similar rate as you pay ?16 a year to Caja and we pay ?15 so the charges are minimal across these 2 banks anyway 😊

Signature 

Scoliosis Support Network
Online Gaming Jobs