advice on valencia
Posted: 01 June 2008 08:07 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-06-01

Hi everyone, i would really appretiate some advice. My partner and i are moving to Spain the end of this year. At first we wanted to move to Barcelona but have been put off how expensive renting is and how low paid wages are. We are looking into Valencia and are really keen. Would it be easier to get work in the city? Iam a qualified massage therapist and also working on a beauty/make up counter. My partner is a personal trainer. Would this kind of work be easily available? We are making an effort to learn Spanish. Any information on areas around Valencia would be appretiated and would like to be near the sea.

Posted: 01 June 2008 08:16 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hey Sunshine,

While there are lots of those types of jobs here in Spain (and I’m sure Valencia specifically - it’s very modern), the biggest problem will be your Spanish skills. Those types of jobs aren’t generally supportable by a specifically expat (English-speaking) community unless you find yourself in, say, Benidorm, or somewhere similarily English. Even then it would be difficult.

What do you think about taking on bar jobs until your Spanish is up to snuff? English teaching perhaps? Moving to Spain without Spanish fluency nor financial independence can be a rough, frustrating road. You might consider expanding your options by either looking at intermediary steps (like bar work) or intensive Spanish classes back home pre-move.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 02 June 2008 01:02 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-04-01

Hi There

I would suggest that the above answer is great. I work as an estate agent here in Valencia and have done for eight years. When I first came over I worked as a personal trainer and MT but with Spanish knowledge. It was difficult at the time. With Spanish your partner could get a job in Virgin Active for example at the Heron City complex. It is run by an Aussie at the moment I think and they are actively trying to recruit more English speaking clients. Perhaps he could use the language to his advantage.

If you put yourselves out there and know how to market your services well you have a good chance of making a living as more Spanish are now getting into personal training and halth issues but immersion in the language is a must really.

For more info on what you can expect have a look at my blog about what is happening in Spain positively at http://www.positivespain.blogspot.com or my business blog at http://www.valenciacomment.blogspot.com. If you want any advice about Valencia from someone who has been there and done that then PM me from the sites.

Regards
GH

Posted: 02 June 2008 06:11 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-06-01

Hi, thank you so much for your advice its very helpful. We are learning as much as we can language wise and plan to also do an intensive course straight away whilst looking for work. The plan was to get bar work etc first of all until we get on our feet so im glad of your advice thank you very much.