< 1 2
2 of 2
Sorry, cost of living again
Posted: 03 June 2008 06:19 AM   [ # 16 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2008-04-01

Great post’s! very instructive. Recession can be a problem for people who have to work and make a living in a country. I have this behind me 😊  Inflation can be more of a problem, because pensions do normally not increase that much.

I am now on the point where I think Cataluna is not good place for me. I still have a young child and making the school in Catalan, if one can avoid it, seam’s not a good idea to me. Also, after a intensive research on the Internet, I found out that rent is between 15-30% more in Tarragona as in Andalusia. Additionally they do not want dogs and the places are mostly old (not good in Spain…) and not very well maintained.

So right now I am concentrating my research to Benalmadena / Calahonda / Mijas / Estepona / Fuengirola / and similar
If someone on the forum has some connection, please let me know. I am looking for a furnished, 3 bedrooms place. Rent not more as 1000 Euro per month.  I have been told that there are plenty. There are actually quite some on the Internet. If I find something worthwhile, I fly over at the end of the month.

See you in Spain 😊

Iwan
http://www.iwanroth-sax.com

Posted: 03 June 2008 12:38 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16
eva33 - 03 June 2008 06:19 AM

So right now I am concentrating my research to Benalmadena / Calahonda / Mijas / Estepona / Fuengirola / and similar
If someone on the forum has some connection, please let me know. I am looking for a furnished, 3 bedrooms place. Rent not more as 1000 Euro per month.  I have been told that there are plenty. There are actually quite some on the Internet. If I find something worthwhile, I fly over at the end of the month.

See you in Spain 😊

Iwan
http://www.iwanroth-sax.com

Why look at those touristy places when you could live in a real Spanish community and save even more money? Look at our place on http://www.casasierra.co.uk - we’ll take lets in winter for a few months for as little as 600 euros a month, but we have some bookings for later in the year so it might be limited for you.  However in principal you could find a nice country place round here for three or four hundred, maybe even less as people would rather have someone in their house than leave it empty…..

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 03 June 2008 02:23 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2008-04-01

Why look at those touristy places when you could live in a real Spanish community and save even more money? Look at our place on http://www.casasierra.co.uk - we’ll take lets in winter for a few months for as little as 600 euros a month, but we have some bookings for later in the year so it might be limited for you.  However in principal you could find a nice country place round here for three or four hundred, maybe even less as people would rather have someone in their house than leave it empty…..

Your place is really beautiful, we will think about it. Right now we are looking for something closer to the see and where we can do most things without using a car.
Thank you
Iwan

Posted: 03 June 2008 05:31 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

However, the airline warned that if oil prices stay at around $130 a barrel it would expect to only break even in the year ahead. It said that the over-riding concern for airlines, passengers and investors currently is the ‘irrational price of oil’.

Ryanair said its unadjusted net profit fell to ?390.7m from ?435.6m a year earlier once it had included exceptional items, including a ?91.6m write down in the value of its stake in Aer Lingus. Ryanair owns over 29% of its Irish rival.
Advertisement

Earnings per share increased by 22% to 31.81 cent for the year. The airline said this reflected its increased profitability and a share buyback of 59.5m shares during the year. Ancillary revenues grew by 35% to ?488m, on the back of strong growth in onboard sales and excess baggage revenues.

Ryanair said its passenger numbers rose by 20% to 51 million, while the airline added 30 new planes during the 12 month period and opened three new bases at Bournemouth, Edinburgh and Belfast.

The budget airline said it was better placed than all other European airlines to absorb higher oil costs, even if it means profits fall in the short term.

‘Based on forward bookings, we now believe it likely that average fares for the coming year will rise by approximately 5% and if oil prices remain at $130 per barrel, then we expect to accordingly breakeven for fiscal ‘09,’ CEO Michael O’Leary said in a statement.

The airline had previously said it expected a 6% rise in net profit this year at best, although its worst-case scenario had been for a 50% drop.

Ryanair, which said last month its fuel needs were mostly unhedged for the current year, predicted oil would become cheaper over the medium term, helping its earnings rebound strongly, but it was not sure when this would happen.

‘Higher oil prices will increase the attraction of Ryanair’s guaranteed lowest fares, as consumers become more price sensitive, as competitors increase fares and fuel surcharges, and as many European airlines consolidate or go bust, a development which we believe is inevitable if oil prices remain above $100 this winter,’ O’Leary said.

Ryanair shares jumped 5.5% to stand at ?2.85 in Dublin by lunchtime, up 15 cent.

Posted: 03 June 2008 08:04 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

Increased fuel costs are threatening the future of the low cost operators according to some observers.
Local newspaper La Opini?n de M?laga today reports on what it says is the complicated future for low-cost airlines in these times of soaring fuel costs. The paper says that low cost flights to M?laga are seeing price increases of more than 80% in some cases across the twenty companies which operate in M?laga.

Last season low cost flights accounted for half the services bringing tourists to the Costa del Sol, some three million people over the year.

The paper says the bargains from European Cities to M?laga are now a thing of the past, and that travel agents are being informed on an almost daily basis of new price rises. Some experts say it is the end of the low-cost era, and note large increases already imposed on some flights.

The newspaper names Ryanair , Air Berlin flights from Frankfort which used to be found for 69 ? and which are now selling at 351 ?.

Posted: 16 June 2008 08:49 AM   [ # 21 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-06-16

I’m Asian by race, American by culture. My four trips to Barcelona, other than getting called “china” but never with any sort of malice, mostly just curiosity, I got lots of love from the Spanish/Catalan/Andalusian people. Of course, I speak Spanish very well. I have never had a problem with being American either.

On the flip side, an Asian colleague of mine was beaten and left for dead in Madrid a few years back; the police told him it was a racially motivated attack, so of course, anything can happen unfortunately. Oh, he survived I’m happy to say.

At any rate, my philosophy is, I’d rather die in Spain than in the States. At least I’d die having had a fabulous time right beforehand.

Posted: 16 June 2008 10:45 AM   [ # 22 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

At least I?d die having had a fabulous time right beforehand.

(From above post) What a great line!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 16 June 2008 02:23 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

ya hope that happen two me aswell , but wont say where i be ... lol

Posted: 16 June 2008 09:43 PM   [ # 24 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
worldflavor - 16 June 2008 08:49 AM

At any rate, my philosophy is, I’d rather die in Spain than in the States. At least I’d die having had a fabulous time right beforehand.

Best line on the forum yet.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 16 June 2008 09:45 PM   [ # 25 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

eva33,
Hi,
just regarding rental costs in Spain. Unbiased search engine http://www.kyero.com has listings for rentals and purchase nation wide.
Prior to coming out to Sapin ourselves this was our main source of information re-property; we have nothing to do with the company, just suggesting it as an invaluable source of infromation. Hope it helps!

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

< 1 2
2 of 2