cost of living in malaga
Posted: 21 July 2008 11:29 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-07-21

Hello everyone

I have a job offer for Malaga. That’s why I’m assessing the cost of living of this area.

Coming from Switzerland I am aware of the fact that I wouldn’t earn as much as in Switzerland, but due to the lower cost of living in Malaga it is completely OK.
I would earn approx 1900 Euros a month. Would this be enough for to have a decent life and make some savings? Here in Switzerland I would earn approx. 4000 Euros, that’s why it’s hard for me to believe, that life in Malaga is half as high as in Switzerland. Or am I wrong?

Thanks for your replies!

Posted: 22 July 2008 01:02 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

I earn roughly 1500 Euro`s a month, my wife around 250-300.

Its managable, our rent is 590 Euro`s a month, food, bills etc take bills up to around 1300 Euro`s.

You can manage but you need to control the spending, being in a hot climate that has an out of house social culture can become expensive if your not careful.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 24 July 2008 07:17 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi R,
Is this figure before or after tax?  I was taking home ?1,200 a month for a single person - with car, phone and petrol all paid.. I only had cheap rent as outgoing - ?300 pcm.. but I still managed to get through my money!  (I did save a little - but as Santi says - it had to be controlled/a concious effort). 

Petrol has gone through the roof and I notice year on year produce in the shops/eating out rising faster than wages.

Depends on what you want/ your long term plans. 

I have downsized (+ I now live with someone/share costs) - but it still costs approx ?1,200 pcm min to cover all outgoings - including 2 cars. 

This seems a reasonable wage - depending on what the job is/the hours.  The ‘average’ salary from what I can work out is considered ‘good’ at ?1,200 pcm before tax…. (for ‘normal’ 38hrs a week).

Come on over if it is sunshine, warm climate and a fun atmosphere if this is what you are looking for (in-between work of course!).

SJ

Posted: 24 July 2008 12:58 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-07-21

Thanks for your valuable help! The figure I posted would be the gross salary. I’m really considering to move there….

Posted: 24 July 2008 07:05 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

go for it if you are looking for a totally different experience..!
possibly nett figure (after tax - dependent on if you were contract or self-employed - ?1,500???
should be ok .. but not saving much as it all seems to disappear!
But we don’t mind - as long as we have a little fund for ‘emergencies’!
Good luck R

Posted: 24 July 2008 11:01 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Spain`s not really a country for saving money.

The costs compared to most EU countries, the UK included are around the same at the end.

If your used to 4,000 Euro`s a month, you may find it a struggle, I don`t know the actual cost of living in your country.I took a drop in pay to live in Malaga from the UK, it does take some time to adjust doin the same job for the same company less money.

For research you may find lookin at the net for shopping and compare the prices.These are popular in Malaga city and Spain.

http://www.compraonline.grupoeroski.com/ecoventa/tienda/tienda.jsp

https://www.mercadona.es/ns/principal.php

http://www.carrefour.es/supermercados/index.html

http://www.elcorteingles.es/

Maybe worth using this site to compare the stores in Spain

http://www.ciao.es/Super_Sol__Opinion_543865

The attraction of Spain isn`t the cheap lifestyle anymore, those days I`m afraid are lost in time.

The same myth is that Spain is perfect, its not, in so much as some like it, some love it and some hate it.

I`ve had family from within Spain who hate where we live, I had family from the UK who love it.

Many make the mistake of viewing Spain as the same, its not, its a huge diverse country that culturally changes drastically from region to region.

Which makes it difficult to no the best place to start lookin for a home that will suit your needs.I`ve taken expat friends to visit my OH town in the north, they couldn`t believe the difference and never realised how much they prefered it.

The three best pieces of advice I could give before moving to Spain is :

1)Learn the language to at least basic conversational level

2)Learn the culture of Spain.

3)Research as many regions by visiting them as you can.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 27 July 2008 02:37 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2007-03-07

Good level headed comments from Santi.  Spain is very diverse, hugh and incredibly interesting.  I would add a few more comments.

Working is Spain is not like working in Switzerland or any other Northern European country.  It is hot, no one wants to work when you want to work and nothing ever happens when you are told it will happen.  For many people it is VERY frustrating.  You will have to be prepared to accept all of this with possibly very long hours. And don’t expect Ex pats to still do business in a Northern Europe style.  For many, especially the retired ones, they adopt enough of the local practices to be difficult.

For me the secret is to accept and understand that things are DIFFERENT.  Not right or wrong, just different.  Accept it and work within the environment not against it.  I am not sure that I will ever get to the stage of completely accepting the way of working in Spain but you can live with it and enjoy it.

If you are able to cope with the work then Spain has so much to offer.  I would recommend travelling in Spain as well as learning the language.  After that, I suppose it is down to your personal interests.

Personally, and despite some frustrations, I enjoy living here.

Barry

Signature 

Barry Davys MBA Dip PFS
Spectrum IFA Group

Tel:  00 34 645 257 525
Email:  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
QROPS Advice