Does anyone know if this is true?
Posted: 28 July 2008 10:23 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-06-30

Hi—

I know that American citizens have six months as tourists in the UK, but the director of my au pair agency tells me that going through the UK and getting stamped for six months as a tourist gives me six months in the *entire EU.* He says that if I went through customs in the UK, I’d be legal in Spain for six months, too.

I’m thinking that, if this were really an option, I would have heard about it from more sources than just the au pair agency director, and the British Consulate website just says you get six months in the UK—nothing about six months in the whole EU. I’ve had trouble getting through on the phone to the British Consulate, and I just wondered if anyone here knows for sure whether this is true or not.

Thanks!

Maria

Posted: 28 July 2008 11:32 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Each EU country operate the same rules regarding visa Entry, except the UK and Ireland.

Arriving in the UK does not effect entry rules for Spain or any other EU country.As a non EU person entering Spain from anywhere you`ll need the required entry visa, simply flying into the UK won`t make a difference in your status

But you may take the risk, read here

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/world/europe/12union.html?ex=1360472400&en=c23c7c2a2ddbf834&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj/freetravel/visa/fsj_freetravel_visa_en.htm

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 28 July 2008 11:58 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-30

I know that they don’t usually stamp passports when people travel between Schengen countries. Does a person always get stamped entering Spain from the EU?

Posted: 28 July 2008 11:59 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-30

I meant: do you get stamped entering Spain from the *UK*... Sorry. LOL

Posted: 29 July 2008 01:43 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

EU citizens do not get stamped - but other passport have to go into a different queue - and did you know all passengers info is faxed to Spain from the departure airport so they know who is on the plane before it lands.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 31 July 2008 10:21 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-07-22

the UK is not part of the EU for customs/immigration purposes… it and Ireland do not form part of the Schengen Treaty (yet another of their umteen opt-outs…someone should opt them right out of the EU!), which does include most of the rest of Europe and even some non-EU countries, I think… whoever told you that is totally wrong unfortunately… when you leave the UK you then enter the EU, which is separate….

Posted: 31 July 2008 10:53 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
Nacozari - 31 July 2008 10:21 PM

(yet another of their umteen opt-outs…someone should opt them right out of the EU!),

Hadn`t you noticed someone did opt us out. 😝

We are an EU member state, but not in the Euro zone, there is a bit of a difference.

The EU is happy to have us on the sidelines as we help keep there inflation low and frankly with most EU countries running inflation at over 5%, Spain for July was at 5.3% for the first time ever we well off being on the outside.

I think the smart ones are the Brits, only Germany at 3.3% inflation are benefiting from the Euro zone, which was the whole plan in the first place.The Germans and French both the strongest pushers of the single currency because without the others there inflation would be much higher, the Germans are smarter than the French and much much more smarter than the rest of the EU sheep.

Guess history taught the Germans that waging war in Europe was fruitless, but on the third attempt at ruling Europe, they seem to have succeeded using peaceful diplomacy (bribes to fat politicians) and lying to dumb peasant’s.

Guess you could say I`m not a supporter of the Euro single state.

I`m supprised that countries who suffered at the might of Germany in two world wars, would turn over and allow Germany to rule, oh then again the French got invaded, the Italians supported Hitler, the Spanish had Franco (Hitler wannabe), the Polish got invaded, come to think of it, not really a supprise as they all folded in.

I`m thinkin of that quote about “Humans being the only creatures on the planet to trip over the same step twice”.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 31 July 2008 11:52 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-07-22

hi santi… well, you can argue over whether or not the EU is beneficial.

but what i think goes without argument is that there is something wrong about certain members of any club or association having more rights or a different/better status than others. either you join the club and you go along with what the majority wants (in this case, FAR more than the majority, almost the TOTALITY goes by the same rules except two countries) or you go off and form your own club or stay on your own.

i can’t imagine joining a business association, for example, and telling the other 95% of the members that i am just going to opt out of the rules that don’t benefit me… but i will stick around for all the beneficial parts, thank you very much!

it may be very “smart,” as you very well say, but it is also sneaky, dishonorable and unfair.

Posted: 03 August 2008 07:29 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
Nacozari - 31 July 2008 11:52 PM

hi santi… well, you can argue over whether or not the EU is beneficial.

Inflation in UK 3.8%, Euro Zone around 5.2%.

but what i think goes without argument is that there is something wrong about certain members of any club or association having more rights or a different/better status than others. either you join the club and you go along with what the majority wants (in this case, FAR more than the majority, almost the TOTALITY goes by the same rules except two countries) or you go off and form your own club or stay on your own.

Depends on the club rules, we are abiding by the clubs rules, therefore nothing wrong with it.

Plus there is more than one club within the club, membership to the Euro single currency is not compulsory when joining the EU.

i can’t imagine joining a business association, for example, and telling the other 95% of the members that i am just going to opt out of the rules that don’t benefit me… but i will stick around for all the beneficial parts, thank you very much!

You have no grasp of the situation.

The EU does not make rules for countries to abide by, it grants harmonisation within the EU member states.Its a policy making organization that operates at European level rather than national level.The policies must then be turned into treaties and then ratified by each individual country

Every member of the EU has the option to either implement or ignore EU proposal`s.

The whole point is to underpin the whole European trade market, to create uniform trading conditions, free movement of goods, persons and services.

There are 11 EU countries apart from the UK who don`t use the Euro Single currency, there are 16 that do.

it may be very “smart,” as you very well say, but it is also sneaky, dishonorable and unfair.

Don`t take this the wrong way, but before you comment on the running of a club, read the rules first before stating there being broken.

The EU is made up of a Parliament, Council and Commission, using a club example is the way you would describe the situation to a child, your missing a huge amount out of the situation.

Frankly very poor example and description.

Signature