< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3
Spanish driving licence
Posted: 02 January 2008 04:17 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2007-12-02

Hi tracyandrich, if you wish to get spanish plates on your UK car then you do have to do it within 30 days of registering. If you are not going to register immediately then you will be able to drive on the UK plates with a insurance greencard since you will be like any other tourist. But if you’re going to live here you might be better off at the end of your ‘orientation’ period to register and buy a spanish car and sell you UK car back in the UK since likely you will have to make modifications with headlights i would have thought.

Signature 

In it for the long haul
http://www.hot-villa.com

Posted: 06 August 2008 02:13 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-08-06
RG - 28 December 2007 03:29 PM

Why do we need to swap our UK license for a Spanish one, it’s all EU, i thought that we were within our right to continue driving on any EU issued license as long as it is the plastic credit card size type with photo. I’ve been here 2.5 years and drive on my Uk license and don’t want to give it up since it is valid until 2039! What’s the renewal period on the Spanish license?

To get this thread back to the topic of driving licences, I refer to the above comment about RG’s UK plastic driving licence being valid until 2039.

Think again!!!!

It may say 2039 on the back but check the front as that will show a much earlier expiry date. You may be licensed until 2039 but the plastic cards need renewing every 10 years. At the end of that 10 years the plastic card you hold will not be valid. At renewal time DVLA won’t send licence to overseas address. You are supposed to give them your current UK address. Unless you give them a UK address that can forward your mail (not actually legal as DVLA need the UK address at which you live) you will need a Spanish licence to replace your UK one at renewal date.

Posted: 06 August 2008 02:28 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

Were did you get the info on renewing a photo card every 10 Years.
I have never heard of this

Posted: 06 August 2008 02:42 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-08-06
pepsi - 06 August 2008 02:28 PM

Were did you get the info on renewing a photo card every 10 Years.
I have never heard of this

From the DVLA. The link to the appropriate page is http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078070

To save going to the page, here is what it says. It is a cut and paste directly from the DVLA page:

“In most circumstances, you?ll need to renew the photo on your driving licence before it expires, as the photo?s only valid for 10 years. If you?re a short period licence holder (over 70 or medical short period) you?ll only need to renew your photo when your driving entitlement expires.
Renewing your photo
With a renewal application

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will send you a renewal application pack two months before your photo is due to expire. You?ll need to:

complete the enclosed form
include a new passport type photo of yourself that?s been taken within the last month (you don?t need the back of the photo signed)
return both parts of your driving licence photocard and counterpart document
enclose a cheque or postal order for ?17.50 (no fee is needed if you have a medical short period licence or you?re aged 70 or over
send your completed application and fee to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DH
If you have changed your name, you?ll also need to provide identity documents as proof.”

In other words, the photo has a validity of 10 years so at the end of 10 years it will need renewing, hence the expiry date on the fron of the card.

Posted: 06 August 2008 02:49 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-06-08

I must add that you are completely legal driving in Spain with a UK plastic type driving licence, however you must comply with the Spanish law, as far as a current medical check is completed, which if you are living in Spain, it maybe just as easy to visit the nearest Gestoria, and start the fairly short process of obtaing a Spainish driving licence.

Posted: 08 September 2008 12:11 AM   [ # 21 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-09-07

The advantage of keeping a UK licence is that the Spanish police can’t put points on it (for a couple more years at least). They will give you a fine however, but you can always play the dumb forigner.

Posted: 14 October 2008 07:25 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2006-10-04

On the risk of being a bore…(not intended)

Question #1 I have a paper based licence (only) issued in 1994, this is the one that is a combination of pink and green, it is valid until 2034, though I expect it will collapse way before that as it is almost falling apart now. The title on the front is UK Driving Licence (Model - European Coummunities Model.

Now I have seen contrary opinions all over the web but from what I can now gather it appears that I can swop this for a spanish licence or I can keep it subject to having all the medicals and also a translation of the licence. I would like to become a model citizen and have a spnaish one…the question is..can I?

I already have my NIE/Padron and I will go and get the medical, is this all I need?

Question #2 I intend to buy a new car…can I get one without a spanish licence, only having the pink and green UK and will I get Insurance etc? (I would prefer to have a spanish one)

I am not resident yet for tax purposes as I am still being paid from Ireland (don’t ask) and still have a house…bottom line I want to make sure that if I get stopped that I am not going to get fined…and earfull…locked up…or even worse..

all answers appreciated

Posted: 14 October 2008 07:39 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

after irish Budget think you change tax payments LOL

Posted: 26 November 2008 06:45 PM   [ # 24 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-11-26

hi.  I just rewed my Irish license (which was about to expire) today in Valencia trafico.  I do not have a DNI but an “old style” NIE.  They required that I provide them a new style green NIE (certificado de registro de cuidanano de la uni?n) which I had to go and get (2 visits and 7 hours of waiting in the street - Calle dels Gremis, Patraix).

I also presented the following documents:
- Passport
- Old drivers licence
- Certificado de inscripci?n en el registro central de extranjeros (certificado de registro de cuidanano de la uni?n)
- they asked also to see a valid empadronamiento which i supplied them.
- Medical test result
- Form proving fee payment (available on same day)

I had to go twice.  The first time they accepted my documents but told me that they had to verify the existence of my licence with the Irish government and that this would take 1 - 1.5 months.  In the end it only took 2 weeks.

However my advice is if your license is going to expire soon then do not leave it too late.

Posted: 20 April 2009 02:11 PM   [ # 25 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-04-20

Has anyone had success changing their UK paper license for a Spanish license (no one replied to WANNAMOVE above)?

I have the same type of license, which I got when I lived in the UK in 1997. I’m actually Australian, but there doesn’t appear to be a reciprocal agreement to swap Australian licenses, so unless I can swap the UK one I think I have to attend a driving school and sit the written and practical exams (???)!

Thanks in advance for information about your experience.

Nene.

Posted: 11 June 2009 09:06 AM   [ # 26 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
dios41 - 06 August 2008 02:49 PM

I must add that you are completely legal driving in Spain with a UK plastic type driving licence, however you must comply with the Spanish law, as far as a current medical check is completed, which if you are living in Spain, it maybe just as easy to visit the nearest Gestoria, and start the fairly short process of obtaing a Spainish driving licence.

Maybe so, but it is illegal to use a UK driving license with an out of date or invalid UK residence address.
IE - Your British license must be legally linked to your British residence.

A lot of Brits in Spain do not have a valid address in the UK anymore, so the license is invalid.
Also if the photo is 10years or older it invalidates too.
A fine if caught in the UK of up to a 1000pounds.

If you don’t legally reside in the UK just call the DVLA and ask for a D737, they will post overseas for 5pounds all in.
This document confirms your active and legal EU driving rights - switch up to a Spanish License..

dSB.

Posted: 11 June 2009 03:36 PM   [ # 27 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Given the UK DVLC will not register a Spanish address on a UK licence and given it is legal to drive in Spain as a resident on the UK ID type of DL then it is simply not possible to have a valid Spanish address on the licence. I have often wondered how this works out and can only assume that the EU law authorises the invalid address under these circumstances (ie being a resident in another EU country)

Also the comment on the photo - it cannot be out of date as the ID type licence only lasts 10 yrs, so when the licence expires (and then Brit Expat Spanish Residents must swop over to a Spanish DL) the whole licence is invalid.

Could not find any reference to a D737 on the DVLC site and they say if you move aboard -

Moving to another country
If you move to another country, you should get
information about driving there from the relevant
authority in that country.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 11 June 2009 04:07 PM   [ # 28 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
ROB1305 - 11 June 2009 03:36 PM

Given the UK DVLC will not register a Spanish address on a UK licence and given it is legal to drive in Spain as a resident on the UK ID type of DL then it is simply not possible to have a valid Spanish address on the licence. I have often wondered how this works out and can only assume that the EU law authorises the invalid address under these circumstances (ie being a resident in another EU country)

Also the comment on the photo - it cannot be out of date as the ID type licence only lasts 10 yrs, so when the licence expires (and then Brit Expat Spanish Residents must swop over to a Spanish DL) the whole licence is invalid.

Could not find any reference to a D737 on the DVLC site and they say if you move aboard -

Moving to another country
If you move to another country, you should get
information about driving there from the relevant
authority in that country.

Then you need to read the threads I’ve been in on the other expat site…
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606919&page=3
Also read this:
http://www.spainvia.com/motoupdatesept2005.htm

I called the DVLA a few days ago, and amongst the many voice options there was an option regarding “to update your expired 10 year photo press ***”

Finally a paste from another post I was in:
DVLA Reply:-

I am sorry, but if you are no longer resident in GB, it is not possible to
reissue your British licence.

As you have lost your licence, please make enquiries with the Licence
Issuing Authority in the country in which you now reside regarding advice on
driving there.

Should the Spanish licensing authorities require confirmation of your driving
licence details, please telephone the Centre to request a certificate of
entitlement.

Switchboard Telephone No. 01792 78 2341

Opening Hours - Monday to Friday 8.15am - 4.30pm

A fee of ?5.00 is charged to cover the cost of issuing a certificate giving
licensing details (a D737 certificate).

When you telephone the Centre you will be asked to provide your full
personal details or driver number and details of your credit/debit card
number (we accept Visa, Eurocard, Mastercard and Maestro). If the
credit/debit card holder is someone other than yourself we will also need to
speak to them.
—END PASTE—

DSB.

Posted: 02 August 2009 02:58 AM   [ # 29 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-08-02
dios41 - 29 December 2007 06:11 PM

Take it easy Robi,
If there is now no longer a requirement, why make things more difficult? The problem that we all have here in Spain is that the legislation is constantly changing also coupled with the length of time it takes to pass new laws from the European Government onto the local courts here in Spain, why even half of the Guardia are unsure of the current status with regards to the UK plastic type licence, for example at this moment in time there does not exist any way of processing penalty points onto a UK licence being used here in Spain.

Hi there…do u have any idea about how long does it take to exchange the old eu lic. with spanish licence?

Posted: 02 August 2009 08:45 PM   [ # 30 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

What is

‘old eu lic. ‘

do you mean your UK one ?

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

< 1 2 3 >