Jalape?os in Barcelona
Posted: 22 August 2008 08:15 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-05-09

I just arrived from the US a few weeks ago to Barcelona. I haven’t had such a huge culture shock (either for better or worse) but one thing that bothers me is that I can’t find simple fruits and vegetables. I’m not trying to be condescending and I’m probably being very petty but I always heard the fruits and veggies will be way better and fresher in Spain. And they are but I feel like there is a bit of compensation. I can’t find what would be simple fruits and vegetables in the US, such any kind of berry (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc) or even red onions. Which I can live with and I can always find substitutes. But I love jalape?os and can’t find them absolutely nowhere! Can someone please tell me where I can find them? Thank you!

Posted: 22 August 2008 08:26 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

There are definitely a few latino food stores in Barcelona. I remember there’s one on Carrer de Bailen, up near Traveserra de Gracia. Ask in any of the Mexican restaurants too.

Oh, and of course there’s always the Boqueria off las Ramblas - they have everything.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 25 August 2008 12:26 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-12-31

Agree regarding the Boqueria, they have fruits I’ve never heard of…and all sorts of peppers to boot!

Posted: 25 August 2008 03:10 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16
mv914 - 22 August 2008 08:15 PM

I just arrived from the US a few weeks ago to Barcelona. I haven’t had such a huge culture shock (either for better or worse) but one thing that bothers me is that I can’t find simple fruits and vegetables. I’m not trying to be condescending and I’m probably being very petty but I always heard the fruits and veggies will be way better and fresher in Spain. And they are but I feel like there is a bit of compensation. I can’t find what would be simple fruits and vegetables in the US, such any kind of berry (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc) or even red onions. Which I can live with and I can always find substitutes. But I love jalape?os and can’t find them absolutely nowhere! Can someone please tell me where I can find them? Thank you!

That’s bizarre; I can only think you’re not looking hard enough.  My local Eroski and El Campo supermarkets in the primitive deep south have plenty of fresh chillies, including jalapenos, red onions by the ton, and more strawberries than you can shake a stick at, so I’m sure they’re easy to get in cosmopolitan BCN.  Try ethnic Indian/Pakistani/Arab shops if the markets and supers don’t deliver on the chillies.  True enough, some berries - particularly cranberries and blueberries - are just not that common anywhere in Europe compared with the US. They also have very short seasons.  Healthfood stores should have dried or frozen versions.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com