Moving to Seville
Posted: 27 August 2008 10:18 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-08-27

My husband and I will soon be moving to Seville (early retirement both 55) and have been been looking for an apartment to rent. Does somebody have information on the different areas.  I have many books with description on the different areas but will appreciate if I can get more personal information.  Our monthly budget will be 3.000 Euros so we think we can afford up to 700-800 Euros for an apartment.  What about other costs.  I have seen in the forum that that the electricity per month is approx. 20.00 Euros and the water every two months approx. the same amount, is thats true. I would appreciate any information that can help me figure out if we can have a “normal” life in Seville with that budget and which areas we should ?void.

Posted: 28 August 2008 02:44 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-04-10

Hi, are you looking to live in the city centre or on the outskirts?  If you move about 10 minutes to the west of Seville, in the Aljarafe region, there are lots of large, quiet towns with 3 and 4 bedroomed villas to rent for the price you’ve mentioned.  My parents live in one Espartinas and like it a lot.

Definitely avoid Los Pajaritos and Los Tres Mil - government housing projects which went very wrong.  La Alameda in the city center is a known hang out for alternative nightlife.

Nicer areas in the city are Nervi?n and near the Virgen del Rocio hospital.  Triana and Patrocinio aren’t too bad either. 

Water and electricity for two, in my experience, are 20? and 60? a month respectively.  Phone and internet will cost you about 50?.

I would recommend you take a look at the websites http://www.enalquiler.com, www.idealista.com and http://www.fotocasa.com to get an idea about rentals.

Have fun!  Seville is great…

Signature 

A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day.
-Emily Dickinson

Posted: 28 August 2008 10:04 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-08-27

Thanks so much for the information, I will try to avoid those areas.  I would like to stay in the city center because I love to walk to markets and sites.  How big are the towns you mentioned.  Sevilla is bigger and full of great architecture, good transportation system and full of parks, which I would love to be surrounded, but do not delete the idea of living not so far the city but in a nice, charming smaller town.  I am planning to go to Sevilla for 1 month on October and have made reservation near the Alameda de Hercules in Calle Gran Poder de Dios, there are some apartments for rent, do you know the area?  Again thanks your email.

Posted: 29 August 2008 01:33 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-10

Hi, yes, the Alameda de Hercules is the place I was telling you is known for its alternative nightlife.  If you haven’t caught my drift I mean bars open till late, pickpockets, some drugs and prostitution.  It’s old and historic, but really run-down.  I wouldn’t stay there.

The Aljarafe region is basically a plateau 5 minutes to the west of the city that serves as a suburb.  There are about 20 towns ranging from 5,000 to 20,000 inhabitants.  It’s well connected to the city center by buses that run every 15 minutes to half an hour.  Each town has a weekly market with fresh fruit and veggies, clothing, fake jewelry, fabric, etc.

I’m just thinking from my own experience living in a city, while it’s exciting during the day to be able to go so many places on foot, at nighttime it never quiets down.  Try people yelling and trash trucks coming by at 4 in the morning.

Signature 

A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day.
-Emily Dickinson

Posted: 29 August 2008 11:11 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-08-27

Hi, Thanks for your reply.  I did figure it out, but wanted to re-confirm with the address.  I am glad I have not made the final reservation so I will try to get another place.  We did check the west part and found a lot of info is very nice. The reason we are moving back to Spain is because we have to be in a city or town that we can walk around to all shops and have some interest places to walk around and have a good public transportation, thats why we always thought about only Sevilla because of the car.  I like Sanlucar la Mayor and Espartinas but as we dont plan to have a car at the beginning we want to have the train station or the buses (which you told me aldreay Espartinas has) so we can go to Seville in case we need to go to (wil sound perhaps stupid) to El Corte Ingles etc.  What do you think of San Vicente, San Julian and Santa Catalina, I did check Nervion but thought it was far from markets and groceries stores.

I really appreciate your input, you are doing a great job.  I guess the important thing is going there soon and check around, I am just want to save time.  I lived in Barcelona for 5 years when I was young and near Alicante for 4 years and it was not important where you where at that time, now the older we are the safer we want to be. 

Thanks again.

Posted: 31 August 2008 01:26 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-10

Right, well I understand about the car situation.  Then it would make sense to live right in the city.  But while you’re renting, you won’t be tied down to one place, so you can always move if you want. 

The San Julian area is near the Virgen del Rocio Hospital that I mentioned was nice.  I’m not sure about San Vicente or Santa Catalina though.  I’ll ask my parents- they might know. 

Sevilla is great to walk around in.  I’ve probably taken about 30 different people on tours of the city and I don’t get tired of it.  Let me know if you have any more questions.

Signature 

-Emily Dickinson

Posted: 01 September 2008 11:16 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-08-27

Hi.  Thanks so much for the info.  I hope you can get more info. from your parents, thats nice.
Is true, we will rent and that way we can check the areas.  You mentioned about taking people on tours to Sevilla, are you a tour guide or travel agent or you do it as a hobby.  Are you near Seville, perhaps you can give me more info on this, perhaps you be interesting in doing something for us??.  Also do you have any information on Universities in Sevilla or Cadiz that offers a master degree in Enviromental Sciences.  My daughter will graduate now and has a BS in Env. Sc. in Arizona and is also considering moving with us and keep on with her master in Europe.  (Perhaps somebody else has more info. on this topic.)

Once again thanks a lot.

Posted: 02 September 2008 02:11 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-10

No, sorry, I’m not a travel agent or a tour guide.  My father has a Protestant Seminary near Sevilla and I would always help them out by taking the traveling professors on tours of the city.  But I haven’t done this in a while since I live in Marbella now.  Usually you can sign up for a day tour at any hotel from 15 to 25? per person. 

As to Masters in Sevilla, I couldn’t find anything on the University of Sevilla website.  However, the private university Pablo de Olavide does have a masters degree in Biodiversity and Biological Conservation along with a masters in Social Investigation applied to the Environment.  Both require students to have an extensive knowledge of English.  The website is http://www.upo.es/postgrado/cursos

Signature 

-Emily Dickinson

Posted: 02 September 2008 11:43 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-08-27

Hi,
thanks. we will check the web-site,  and she does speak perfect english.  I know Marbella very well because my son studied there and I like it very much,  it was one of our options but in summer is really crowded with tourists.  In case your parents let you know about the barrios I mentioned you, please let me know.  Thanks for all the information.

Posted: 25 May 2012 04:10 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-05-25
rubi995 - 28 August 2008 02:44 PM

Hi, are you looking to live in the city centre or on the outskirts?  If you move about 10 minutes to the west of Seville, in the Aljarafe region, there are lots of large, quiet towns with 3 and 4 bedroomed villas to rent for the price you’ve mentioned.  My parents live in one Espartinas and like it a lot.

Definitely avoid Los Pajaritos and Los Tres Mil - government housing projects which went very wrong.  La Alameda in the city center is a known hang out for alternative nightlife.

Nicer areas in the city are Nervi?n and near the Virgen del Rocio hospital.  Triana and Patrocinio aren’t too bad either. 

Water and electricity for two, in my experience, are 20? and 60? a month respectively.  Phone and internet will cost you about 50?.

I would recommend you take a look at the websites http://www.enalquiler.com, www.idealista.com and http://www.fotocasa.com to get an idea about rentals.

Have fun!  Seville is great…

Thats really useful information, thank you!
I have searching the net for days now, and I have not had much luck finding any good rental sights. Having trouble finding any which are more rural! I’m not used to living in built up areas, but maybe I may have to for 2 years until I return home!!

Posted: 25 May 2012 10:48 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

If you have have a little geographical knowledge of the areas you want to investigate, this is a good source of apartment rentals for thee Seville area…

http://www.pisos.net/alquiler/pisos/sevilla/

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773