Town/village to live in on mainland within commuting distance of Gibraltar
Posted: 03 September 2008 08:14 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-09-03

Hi,

I have been offered the possibility of working in Gibraltar.

Can anyone recommend a few nice reasonably quiet towns/villages on the mainland within commuting distance to Gibraltar where property to rent is reasonable.

Many thanks.

Posted: 12 September 2008 12:32 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

‘Without Prejudice’ lol!

I personally would avoid - Campo de Gibraltar and La Linea (also maybe Algeciras comes into this too!)..
(Although they have smarted La Linea up a litte of late - esp the main shopping area).

My choices would be:
San Roque - pueblo
San Roque - Esacion (not too bad)
Guarro? - near Sotogrande?
Los Barrios? (Although might not suit all)
etc..
Basically - get down here, have a look around - see what is on offer re rentals and pick what suits you best. 
Not all of the people like the same things all of the time!

If you are taking a job in Gib your work mates should be able to suggest things. (All but all will tell you it is exorbitant on the rock itself). 

(I live further up the coast near Fuengirola but used to work nearby Gib and had friends in the area - but all rented in different places for different reasons).

Good luck!
😊 sj

All of above are within 1/2hr of coast.
Further inland:  Castellar de la Frontera (old town - but full of hippies and drugs! New town - souless)
Jimena de la Frontera - lots of nobby expats - but pretty village. 40 mns tho..

Posted: 15 September 2008 05:56 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-09-03

Thanks very much for your reply Susan, very helpful.

Posted: 23 September 2008 10:37 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-09-23

Hi all,

I’m in a similar position, just been offered a job in Gibraltar.

What’s public transport like in the areas mentioned in the above post, will it be easy for me to get to work.
I’m leaving a 1 hour commute by bus in Dublin and don’t want to face that again….

Also, any idea of rental prices for a 1/2 bed apart??
I’m coming over next week to really start looking into things before i make the move

Thanks all,

Posted: 24 September 2008 12:27 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-09-02

From all those points there are buses to La Linea, which is bordered with Gibraltar, so whereever you are, you have to take bus to La Linea. From Algeciras there are aproximately 2 buses per hour, and it takes around half and hour to get there. I dont know about other places, as for Algeciras, rental prices would be 400-450 euro. Big aptmnt with, say 4 bedrooms, would be 600.

Posted: 24 September 2008 06:32 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Lorim/et al.. Although I do not live down there/have never used public transport there (above poster gives some idea of no of buses per hour from Algeciras) - I would SERIOUSLY CHECK OUT AT LA LINEA BUS STATION all times to all places you might consider renting/living.  From what I remember the buses are far/few between (although yes, some people do have to use them/have no other option).  From my 10yrs in Spain OWN TRANSPORT is a boost to many things!
All of above I mention are commuting distance (Jimena furthest/I personally would not want to do this long-ish journey daily).
Depends also what you want out of the place you live to where you will finally decide to rent too. 
‘If’ it were possible to commute from Tarifa/area to Gib quickly (think it is a good 45mins+ ???) - then that would be my choice.
Good luck in your new job/the move!
sj

Posted: 24 September 2008 12:33 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-09-02

Here is telephone of bus station in La Linea
Tel?fono: 902 143 144
Horario : 8:00 h. a 21:00 h. (weekdays)
        9:30 h. a 15:30 h. (weekends and holidays)

I also have found the schedule, if you scroll down there is timetable for buses from-to San Roque.
http://www.ctsa-portillo.com/ima/pdf/la-linea.pdf 

website of La linea municipality in english - http://traduccion.cervantes.es/fstraducirpagina.aspx?slyidioma=es_en&url=http://www.lalinea.es/subpaginas/index_bue.html

‹‹ Showing dogs in Spain      vehicle valeting ››