breaking a lease
Posted: 03 February 2008 07:15 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-02-03

i moved to Soria in september and have a short term (temporada) lease with my landlord. My girlfriend left me and I no longer want to live in Spain but need to get out of my lease whih still has 5 months left on it. Please can someone tell me what the protocol os…I’ve heard if I give one month’s notice I can get out of it but that i lose the fianza??? Is this true?? Please help. I want to leave here as soon as possible
Many thanks
madra

Posted: 03 February 2008 09:34 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

You can pass on the lease with out lossing your money , it done in Bussines .  I.e. shop been sold on , just need some to take over you lease you need to get in and ask ROBI
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 04 February 2008 06:19 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-02-03

thanks…so in order to get out of it I need to find someone to move in an take over the lease??

Posted: 08 March 2008 07:13 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-03-08

Soz - but I don’t think that’s true.

A business lease is legally a different animal to a private residential agreement: which actually isn’t even a lease legally I believe, as it’s a personal rental agreement.

In the case of private short term renatl agreement, you need to look at what the terms of that written agreement say, because that’s what you and the landlord both signed, and both are bound to for the stated term of the agreement.

Tha’s not to say that you can’t break your side of the legal bargain that you made…..eg just do a moonlight flit and accept that you’ll never see any of your deposit back.
But a private accommodation short-term rental agreement is, so far as I’m aware, not transferrable to another rentee, as it is a form of personal contract.

You could maybe try the informal appraoch and talk to the landlord if your relationship is good, and see if there is some compromise that he’d accept???
Maybe you try to find another tenant who’d be prepared to agree a new rental contract with the landlord, and in exchange he releases you early from the obligations you agreed to under yours?

Posted: 28 September 2008 10:49 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

If you cant find a solution legally you could not pay your last months rent,or just leave now and forfit the deposit.
Both are done very often here in Spain so dont panic and good luck