Short term move to spain - internet access?
Posted: 01 October 2008 08:14 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-10-01

hi,

i am thinking of going to spain just for 2-3 months initially with a view to moving there.

i would really appreciate any advice with the following:

- how to get cheap accommodation (2 adults) and how much should i expect to pay?
- how to get internet (broadband) access which i need for work (internet cafes no use though.) - this is essential.

thank you very much in advance.

PS i’m not overly fussy about where we go so long as it is not in the middle of nowhere (probably somewhere not too far from usual destinations from uk)

regards,

paul

Posted: 01 October 2008 11:34 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2008-09-06

To get an Internet access you are required to sign a contract for at least 1 year. If you terminate the contract before that period has expired, you’ll have to pay a penalty (for ONO it used to be 145 euros if I remember well ...)

Posted: 02 October 2008 12:01 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-10-01

thanks for the speedy reply. do you know if there a mobile broadband deals like are available in the uk?

plus, is anyone able to advise on how to get cheap accommodation for around 2-3 months for 2 people or if anyone can point me in the right direction?

regards,

paul

Posted: 02 October 2008 04:04 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

this guy keep posting here and rent aswell http://www.europe-satellite.com and two live , you got Costa Blanca and costa del sol aswell so up two you where and what side spain you need to live in
come back with more and try to fill you in
jurdy

Posted: 02 October 2008 01:26 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

I know you don’t like the idea of using internet cafes, but in Andalucia there is a scheme called Guadalinfo where every small village or city barrio gets government funding for public computer and broadband access.  In our village of just 200 people the library has six PCs and usually when I use it I have it to myself.  It’s completely free and is open five half-days a week.  In bigger villages it should be open all day. Our place is available to rent from Jan-March but you may find it too “back of beyond”... Another alternative is to rent a place where the owner already has a broadband connection and pay a few euros extra per month to use it - there must be thousands of people in that position, particularly Brit ex-pats who need to be back home for a few months and don’t want to relinquish their contracts.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 02 October 2008 01:33 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-10-01

thanks for the info on the public access scheme but i don’t think it would really be suitable as i need a constant connection for work and would need access for most of the day. i also need to use my equipment as it has all the software i use for work.

are you able to point me in the right direction to find people who may rent out their properties for 2-3 months?

Posted: 02 October 2008 03:03 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16
mccannio - 02 October 2008 01:33 PM

are you able to point me in the right direction to find people who may rent out their properties for 2-3 months?

Nope, as Jurdy says you need to have an idea of where you want to be - Spain is twice the size of Britain after all.  Once you home in on an area you will probably find letting agencies have this information, or maybe you could put an ad on a local website or paper - many areas have English-language resources if you don’t speak Spanish.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 02 October 2008 03:07 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-10-01

ok, i take your point on board. thanks for the advice.

i need to find a location first!

Posted: 02 October 2008 04:46 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

Hi, I’m currently seeking 6 month rental in Costa Blanca and have found agents pretty helpful about the broadband issue - if there is a phone line in the property they generally reckon they can set it up in a few days (I obviously havent put this to the test yet!)  Obviously I have made it clear that my earning a living and paying the rent absolutely depends on this - but I intend to opt for somewhere walking distance to a plan B hotspot just in case.

Good luck!

Mx

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com