Brits Jaywalking in Spain
Posted: 11 January 2007 11:44 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hey all,

I read this BBC article about Brits jaywalking around the world and wondered how other Brits felt about jaywalking here in Spain. Particularly whether or not they’ve had any problems with the police.

I personally feel quite strongly, seemingly like the British, that jaywalking/crossing the street, is the pedestrian’s responsibility to do so safely. Back in Canada it goes both ways: there are fines for jaywalking (not enforced as much as in the article however) and we are taught never to jaywalk as it’s a horribly dangerous thing to do. As well, any cars that don’t immediately stop for any pedestrian crossing the street, jaywalking or not, are fined heavily.

I guess I’ve been lucky in Spain as I tend to jaywalk everywhere I go. I love calles piedonales.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 21 January 2007 01:51 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I agree with Frank and he points out something that many of us forget in the first year of life in a new place: you can’t change the system. No matter how right you think you are or how much better some system works back home, don’t try to replicate it here outside of the home. You’ll only end up frustrated.

In any case, I think one of the things I enjoy most about Spain is not having to own a car. Pedestrians should be rewarded for their efforts by having the right of way. That’s not to say that if you’re walking and you get hit that it’s the car’s fault; often pedestrians are just stupid about jumping out between parked cars for example.

I think I worry about getting hit by a scooter more anyway.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.