Questions about: Teaching in Spain without legal papers
Posted: 06 October 2008 09:57 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-10-06

Hello,

I’m a U.S. citizen, and it’s been a long-time dream of mine to teach English in Spain. I’ve recently graduated with my TESOL certificate, and as of this weekend, I have 2 job offers: one is from an Academy in Spain, and the other is from a Hagwon school in South Korea. 

Please offer your feedback:::
The BIG DRAWBACK to the job offer in Spain is that they need someone urgently. This is fine for my schedule, but in order to get a work visa or work permit, the school said in the past it’s taken them about 4 months to get.  It’s my understanding this all has to be done in person, so it’s not as though I could start the process while still here, and then pick up my visa there.  The school explained why they need someone urgently, and they do have one American there right now who is legal - that’s the person it took from April - August to get the Visa for). 

The golden questions:
* What is the chance of authorities finding me?
* What is the least and worst penalty if caught? For me? For the shool? (would I be fined, deported, imprisoned)
* Do you know anyone who has done this successfully?
* Do you know anyone who has done this unsuccessfully? Or, have you heard any factual stories?

Thank you for your time and feedback!
All my best,
marble

Posted: 07 October 2008 06:22 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Hi Marble…

Well There is a lot of people from Brazil, Venezuela, Russia &  US here in Tarragona and In Salou with no Papers..

Recently The Guardia Civil (Spain?s Military Police) have began to do Immigration Checks Passport Controls.. By the roadside and door to door…

They also rely heavily on Catalan people to report suspicious people…

Also to teach English here in Spain you need to be licensed and Police checked…
To be honest you need to be lucky….

Also Remember to rent a year apartment from an Estate Agent you need a DNI Number and Passport…I wouldn?t suggest Private Renting as its not secure..

Good Luck do the right thing and come here legally….

Kind Regards

Anthony