UK Benefits while living in Spain
Posted: 21 October 2008 08:46 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi,
A member of my family is considering moving to Spain - probably permenantly due to ill health. They are in receipt of Incapacity Benefit (& Income Support/housing benefit etc).  They have tried to get the correct information from the DWP before making any final decisions.  Their question is can they receive this benefit if they decide to declare themselves as a ‘resident’ of another EAA (EU) country? (I.e Spain in this case). They understand they will loose all other benefits - but I remember someone, somewhere being able to legally do this.  I think there is a clause such as - if you choose to become a permenant resident of that other country -after 6 months - you loose all entitlement to any benefits should you choose/need to return to the UK in the future. (For whatever reason).  They will still give you the forms entitling you to health care in the reciprocal EU country, but should you ever wish to return to the UK - you are ‘no longer eligible’.  Sounds OK if you seriously want to reside in a warmer clime, have access to the local health system AND RECEIVE your 80 odd quid a week - but on the understanding that you can never claim if you return to the UK. 
(I sort of equate it to the pension that is paid overseas, except I am sure you can still get that if you return to the UK - unlike this clause).

Any info welcome.

SJ

PS - I read with interest Robbies post on benefit defauders being hunted down in Valencia.  Hence my family members wish to do everything ‘above board’.
pps - we have tried the DWP - but without success.

Posted: 22 October 2008 02:02 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2006-11-28

Page 5 of this document may help.

http://www.dls.org.uk/Advice/Factsheet/welfare_benefits/Can_I_Take_My_Benefits_Abroad_12-05.pdf

Posted: 22 October 2008 07:59 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Hi Susan

I am sure the DWP would be very sorry that you have not been able to sort out the facts and answer your question as they are currently trying very hard to get good info out to us - the public - including doing roadshows in Spain and having DWP people now based here in Spain.

Hopefully the above link has sorted it out - if not persevere with DWP they assured us (I went to one of their presentations) that they are really trying to help!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 22 October 2008 10:00 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Shaggymon/Robi,
The link was great thanks SM!
Also Robi - yes, they should be answering the Q - but I think the difficulty was not wanting to say the wrong thing to the wrong person! As you know the DWP are in your neck of the woods to try and find defrauders?
I will tell my family member to go and see their client care worker who is supposed to help them on a one to one basis with any questions & queries.  Failing that Citizens Advice may be a good bet.
SJ