Advice Needed- Plan may be too complicated- Malaga?
Posted: 28 October 2008 08:00 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-10-28

After a really bad six months, I’ve decided that this winter would be a perfect time to move to Europe for a year.

My plan:

Move to Spain for the first three months
Move to Lyonne’s France for the next six
Move to Southern Italy for the last three
(I’m from the Southwest in the US and would like to stay reasonably warm)

I do not plan on working and have $50 to $60 thousand budgeted for this year (I figure that’s a little less than what I normally take home, but I don’t need to save anything - is this even feasible?)

I’m currently looking at starting in Malaga. Everyone I spoke too told me how beautiful it is with such know it all attitude. But I was pronouncing it Magala when I was speaking, so I figure they don’t know what they’re talking about.

What I’m looking for in Spain:

1 bedroom apartment
Must have outdoor space
Dishwasher
furnished
be in central part of town with plenty of things to walk to
a hottie neighbor nextdoor (if push came to shove, he could live down the block 😊 )
I’d like it to be cute and “authentic”

I also like Malaga because it seems to have trains that go in all three directions so I can travel extensively.

Are you laughing at me yet? Am I being completely naive? Any advice would be completely appreciated.

Posted: 28 October 2008 10:00 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-10-28

Just bumping my own post so it’d be at the top of the list when you all wake up. (I realized my replies to others, made it move far down the list 😊 )

And good morning to you all.

Posted: 28 October 2008 02:51 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Hi Madge, God, you are a bit mad, aren’t you?  Have you ever been to the three locations you specify?  Malaga is a great city, I love it, but Seville and Granada are great too, and that’s just the South.  In France, Lyon is an interesting enough city but I would choose Paris, Marseille or Toulouse over it, personally.  Southern Italy I don’t know, but I do know that a single woman would fit in more easily in the North of the country where they’re much more modern in their attitudes.  If you do go for Malaga, anywhere in the old town around the cathedral and the traffic-free shopping streets will give you endless possiblilities for bar-hopping and excellent eating right on your doorstep.  However you will find it difficult to get outdoor space unless you can find a roof garden or maybe a balcony.  Many areas are very noisy until 3 or 4 am too, which is great if you’re on vacation but may get to be a bore for long-term living.  There is also a minor problem with hassle from junkies etc. on some streets and plazas, but nothing to really worry about if you are used to city life elsewhere.  In central Malaga there can be a major difference in the quality of one street and the next, so you really have to see places for yourself.  Your budget is more than most locals earn in those cities, I think you’ll do fine on that unless you have really expensive tastes.  Apartments in good streets in Malaga are expensive but since the credit crunch there are lots of empty ones - you could bag a bargain.  You may have a problem getting a short lease in Spain, but if landlords have empty flats then they may be flexible.  I suggest you book into a cheapish hotel in Malaga - there are quite a few around the Alameda - and get to know the city for a week before you commit to an apartment.  I’m not an expert but I don’t think you’ll find it difficult to get a place to stay when you’re there.  Try to avoid arriving when the University term starts, as you would anywhere with a student population, as there’s so much more competition for flats.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 October 2008 04:41 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2008-09-06
MartCross - 28 October 2008 02:51 PM

Hi Madge, God, you are a bit mad, aren’t you?  Have you ever been to the three locations you specify?  Malaga is a great city, I love it, but Seville and Granada are great too, and that’s just the South.  In France, Lyon is an interesting enough city but I would choose Paris, Marseille or Toulouse over it, personally.  Southern Italy I don’t know, but I do know that a single woman would fit in more easily in the North of the country where they’re much more modern in their attitudes.  If you do go for Malaga, anywhere in the old town around the cathedral and the traffic-free shopping streets will give you endless possiblilities for bar-hopping and excellent eating right on your doorstep.  However you will find it difficult to get outdoor space unless you can find a roof garden or maybe a balcony.  Many areas are very noisy until 3 or 4 am too, which is great if you’re on vacation but may get to be a bore for long-term living.  There is also a minor problem with hassle from junkies etc. on some streets and plazas, but nothing to really worry about if you are used to city life elsewhere.  In central Malaga there can be a major difference in the quality of one street and the next, so you really have to see places for yourself.  Your budget is more than most locals earn in those cities, I think you’ll do fine on that unless you have really expensive tastes.  Apartments in good streets in Malaga are expensive but since the credit crunch there are lots of empty ones - you could bag a bargain.  You may have a problem getting a short lease in Spain, but if landlords have empty flats then they may be flexible.  I suggest you book into a cheapish hotel in Malaga - there are quite a few around the Alameda - and get to know the city for a week before you commit to an apartment.  I’m not an expert but I don’t think you’ll find it difficult to get a place to stay when you’re there.  Try to avoid arriving when the University term starts, as you would anywhere with a student population, as there’s so much more competition for flats.

Hi Madge, I’m Italian, live in Spain and have friends living in France. As far as Spain is concerned I agree with Martin ...

Lyon ... it’s NOT a warm city: in winter it’s very cold. If I decided to spend some time in France I’d rather pick the Aix-en-Provence area (which is really lovely!) or the Camargue area or Nice. Only problem: France is VERY expensive, by all means. Even more expensive than Italy (which IS expensive, believe me). If in Spain you can still live with 1.000 euros/month in France and Italy you sure can’t, unless you keep a very low lifestyle and rent apartments far away from the centre of the city.

South of Italy ... where would you like to stay? I fell in love with the Costiera Amalfitana. I spent a month between Positano, Ravello, Amalfi, Sorrento ... they’re simply wonderful places ... but very expensive. I’d suggest to AVOID Naples and the outskirts, as well the whole region of Calabria: very dangerous. Sicily is really beautiful but I’d not live in Palermo and Catania (pls see above). Apart from that, life there might be rather dull, unless you pick Taormina ... which is expensive too. Other option could be the Adriatic Sea area, the Puglia region. There are lots of beautiful places there, and this part of Italy is not as expensive as the others I mentioned.

Regarding warm weather ... in winter it usually snow in Sicily and the whole south of Italy. Temperatures can go down quite a lot ... I too like warm weather (I come from the north of Italy). For that reason I chose to live in Alicante. Today, oct. 28, with all windows opened, the temperature inside my flat is +23?C.  :lol:

Posted: 28 October 2008 05:01 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-16

Hi, me again.  If you are looking at the map and thinking that south equals warm, you’re only half right.  In Southern Europe it’s much more about altitude and distance from the sea.  Granada city for example has freezing winters, while Motril is almost tropical, and they’re only 45 minutes apart.  You’re on the right lines with Malaga, though.

Signature 

Posted: 29 October 2008 06:32 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-10-28

Good point about the altitude Martin.

I’m starting to think I may have a visa issue (more about timing than anything else). I really want to be on a plane by January 15. My last day at my job is December 18th, so that will give me time to go home for the holidays and prepare.

I truthfully have nothing set in stone and really don’t care where I’m at as long as it’s a great experience (the only place I have to be is in Rome the first two weeks of August - I already have visitors coming). I plan on staying in my flat one week then traveling the next etc. When I locate to Spain, I’d like to tour the country, go down into Morroco and over to Portugual.

I was thinking Lyonnes for the spring and summer so I could tour France, Germany, Switzerland, Amsterdamn and England easily enough from there. Then Italy to tour Greece and Turkey etc. (I was planning on checking it out before I made a final decision)

But now with the whole visa timing issue: I may have to revamp my plan to live in Spain for three months, move over to England for three and then back to France and then spend the last three in Japan and South America instead. (Which makes me sad because I really want to be in Italy some)

Do you think this will work for the legal issue. I really wish they had a sabbatocal visa instead of a retirement. How are you supposed to be spontaneous with these rules?

Martin, you suggested I just come over and find a place. I actually do like that idea. I’ve never been to the continent before, so I have no idea where to start.  And I really like the idea of checking out a few cities before I decide on one.

Fate, when you said you can live in Spain for about 1,000 euro a month - did you actually just mean rent for 1,000 euros? If I could live there for a $1,000 a month I would be thrilled (just my rent in LA is $1,500 usd a month).

And thank you for your help!

Posted: 29 October 2008 04:11 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2008-09-06
MadMadge43 - 29 October 2008 06:32 AM

Fate, when you said you can live in Spain for about 1,000 euro a month - did you actually just mean rent for 1,000 euros? If I could live there for a $1,000 a month I would be thrilled (just my rent in LA is $1,500 usd a month).

And thank you for your help!

There are places in Spain where you can still rent a studio or a 2 rooms apartment for 400-500 euros/month ... or even less if it’s a small city. You sure can’t live with 1.000 euro/month in Madrid or Barcelona or San Sebastian. A friend of mine is living in Barcelona and rented a 2 rooms apartment near the Eixample for 1.250 euros/month. But she is living in one of the best places in town ...

Now I have a question. I assumed you’re american. Doesn’t the Visa Waiver Program work both ways? I mean ... wouldn’t you be entitled to stay 3 months in each EU country with your american passport?

Posted: 30 October 2008 02:14 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

90 days for date entry to leveling EU state

Posted: 30 October 2008 07:53 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-10-28

I wish I could stay in each country for three months, but since they signed a Scheingen or something treaty, it’s three months total for the Entire EU, except the UK.

If it was three months per country, I’d be set.

Posted: 30 October 2008 01:50 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-16

Can’t you just leave the EU for a little while and come back in, then start your 90 days again?  From Southern Spain you could be in Morroco and back in a day, easy, though you’ll want to stay for longer.  Or just go home for a week or so - you’ll probably find a reason why it would be good to be in the US for a little while anyway - and come back.  The flight costs will be the least of your outgoings.  Also I’m not sure how much the authorities will care - you’re not planning to work or claim benefits, and you don’t look much like a terrorist.

Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2008 07:07 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

if you look for more on the area , need to few website , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M?laga , http://www.spain.info/

the airport has good link to car company aswell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M?laga_Airport , http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?pagename=subHome&Language=ES_ES&c=Page&SiteName=AGP&cid=1048858947193

jurdy

Posted: 31 December 2008 06:23 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-12-30

why costa del sol its not the best
look at costa Colida

Posted: 31 December 2008 11:04 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-12-31

MadMadge43, you mentioned that you’d have to go to the UK for 3 months, then return to EU.  Is it necessary to leave for 90 days as well before returning or is that just have you’ve restructured your trip. 

I’m going to do something very similar in Fall of ‘09, but I will have to have an income stream (I’m a web developer so I’ll work freelance) in my adventure.  I was hoping to spend the most in time in the EU, but if I have to take 90 day breaks every three months I may need to rethink the itinerary. 

Coincidently, I was going to start in Malaga as well, so I’d love any tips you’ve gathered prior to the start of your trip or even anything after.

Thanks,

Chuck