where to start a good career!! spain or united states?
Posted: 02 December 2008 08:01 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-12-02

Hi, I am new to this forum and have read a few of the different situations people have gone thru to get to spain. What I am trying to figure out is will I benefit to keep living here in U.S or move to spain. My resume is as follow: I am a Veteran of the United States Marine Corps, I will graduate from my university in may 2009 with a bachelor’s degree in Economics with a minor in Business administration and I am fluent in spanish and English. What I am trying to do really is work in Spain for a full two years and save all the money I can and come back to the U.S with my cash. I have already spoken to the spanish embassy in Washington D.C so I know what I need to do for my transition to spain. I am looking for a job in Banking and financial services or Business management. My question is how is it in Spain is there any good jobs left? Is spain growing in jobs? Is there economic prosperity? How do I stand as a candidate in the professional market with my qualifications? Is finding a 35,000.00 euro a year job realistic or not?

Posted: 02 December 2008 10:09 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2008-09-06
lo80lex - 02 December 2008 08:01 AM

Hi, I am new to this forum and have read a few of the different situations people have gone thru to get to spain. What I am trying to figure out is will I benefit to keep living here in U.S or move to spain. My resume is as follow: I am a Veteran of the United States Marine Corps, I will graduate from my university in may 2009 with a bachelor’s degree in Economics with a minor in Business administration and I am fluent in spanish and English. What I am trying to do really is work in Spain for a full two years and save all the money I can and come back to the U.S with my cash. I have already spoken to the spanish embassy in Washington D.C so I know what I need to do for my transition to spain. I am looking for a job in Banking and financial services or Business management. My question is how is it in Spain is there any good jobs left? Is spain growing in jobs? Is there economic prosperity? How do I stand as a candidate in the professional market with my qualifications? Is finding a 35,000.00 euro a year job realistic or not?

I’m afraid this is the worst period to come to Spain ... unless you already have a contract before you leave.

Banks and financial agency are reducing personnel, due to the financial crisis. Last week I went to my bank (BBVA, the second Spanish bank ...) and discovered two new stands INSIDE the bank: a travel agency and a private insurance company. When I asked the manager what was that, he said that after reducing personnel, the bank had decided to make the free space more profitable ...  😖

Spain has actually the highest unemployment rate in Europe: 12%, expected to reach 17% or more during the next couple of years. If I were you I’d try to get a firm contract before moving to Spain. And if you do not succeed, you’d better stay in USA. And 35.000 euros/year nowadays is pure utopia: the average salary in banks (except for directors and managers) is between 1.200 and 1.400 euros/month ... Besides, with so many unemployed, some of them experienced, I really doubt you or any other foreigner coming from abroad would have much chances ...

Sorry if I sound brutal, but this is what we have at present in Spain ...

Posted: 02 December 2008 10:27 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Right now you’re unlikely to find work in financial services anywhere on earth.  This may change soon, or it may not.  If I was you I’d re-think my career, not my location.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 03 December 2008 07:03 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-12-02

yea, I know what’s going on with the financial crisis, same thing happening there is here too but worse cause we started and it extended globally. So how does someone here in the U.S get a contract from a firm in spain? Where do I search? Is there an agency? Online? etc…

Posted: 03 December 2008 06:58 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2008-09-06
lo80lex - 03 December 2008 07:03 AM

yea, I know what’s going on with the financial crisis, same thing happening there is here too but worse cause we started and it extended globally. So how does someone here in the U.S get a contract from a firm in spain? Where do I search? Is there an agency? Online? etc…

No idea, sorry. You might look with Google, or try online agencies such as Monster, infojob, trabajar.com ...

‹‹ cuota      Online residency renewal ››