Dealing with EU customs as a non-European married to an EU citizen
Posted: 16 July 2011 02:50 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-07-13

Greetings to everyone on this forum!

This is my first post and I am interested in hearing back from anyone who has insight into my circumstances.

The situation is a bit convoluted so here goes…
I am a Canadian citizen who married an American woman here in the United States last year and have since received my green card.  I also have dual Finnish citizenship which I obtained through a special program no longer available whereby descendants of former Finnish citizens (aka my mother) could apply for this benefit.  I am extremely thankful to have had that opportunity to do so though I have not yet been able use this opprotunity until now.  Both my wife and I are excited to leave the States behind in the fall and move to Spain where we are planning to volunteer on organic farms for some time before deciding whether we would like to settle down. 

I have looked into what is required for my wife to accompany me as a non-European.  From what I have been to able ascertain, we can obtain a residence card for her within three months of arriving after I have obtained my registration certificate.  I am in the process of registering my marriage in Finland where I would then be provided with a document attesting to that.  I am told that I should present this with a Spanish translation and both our passports of course and this should be sufficient.

My question, with respect to this scenario, is the following:
I am not sure what we need to say when arriving at the port of entry into Spain and dealing wtih EU customs officials.  Technically, I should be able to just pass through but should my wife mention all this about registering and so forth since she is allowed six months in the country without a visa anyway.  Basically, I am wondering if we need to state our intention to remain in Spain for longer than six months at the time we arrive.  If we don’t, will this negatively impact anything bureaucratically later on?  I just want to make sure that we are playing by the rules, but I also don’t want to get bogged down at the airport for hours if it is not necessary!  I might be a bit paranoid given the hassles people have with US Homeland Security over here!

Any thoughtful insight into this would be appreciated! Thank you!