How do you report a marriage of convinience in Spain
Posted: 01 October 2011 07:15 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-10-01

I am a British Citizen who met a Nigerian guy online and got married 10months after couple of visits. He was then a wonderful guy showing no signs of misleading me and he introduced me to his family which made me believe he is genuine. After 10months in a relationship he asked me to marry him on which I hesitated at first as August 2011, we got married in Spanish Catholic church, from that day when he got the marriage certificate he changed to a beast I have never seen. I believe he only married me to get residency in Spain as he did not have any, although since he put his application they have not responded as yet. I visited him just few weeks ago and found out that he has thrown my clothes away and packed out of the flat we were renting together and moved in a room which he refused to show me. He is always calling me demanding for money as he is not working at the moment due to his immigration status. How do I inform the spanish authority so that I take myself out of his application as this guy has proved to me that he only married me to gain residency in Spain and has no intentions to be with me. He obtained the family book and has copies of my NIE and passport. Ihave only a copy of our marriage certificate which he did not want me to have.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Shandy

Posted: 05 October 2011 04:24 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

Shandy2, you can always get a copy of the marriager certificate online.

https://sede.mjusticia.gob.es/eCertificados/CertificadoMatrimonio.do?lang=es_es&idpagina=1215197884559&idtramite=1215327470542

you can have the marriage annulled or you can start the quickie divorce proceedings three months after date of marriage.
i seem to understand that you never lived together since your clothes were thrown away without you knowing it and he moved to a room which you you do not have access to. this may prove that the marriage was null.
go to nearest juzgado de paz or juzgado de guardia to make a denuncia and the judge will suspend all marriage rights and obligations according to this video

http://fiestas.practicopedia.com/bodas/como-anular-tu-matrimonio-nada-mas-casarte-13383

your husband cannot work until he gets his residency card.
be quick

Posted: 26 February 2012 12:02 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Shandy, how awful! hope you have followed advice in above post ^
I was in Senegal one time (as a sort of tourist/but on way to a job)... and got propositioned.  I could see from the outset the guy/everyone there was desperate and would do anything to get out.  Infact after I turned said guy down, he admitted his best mate had married a Japanese woman for a better life (Although I like to think their relationship worked out??) 

Take care of yourself and protect yourself as soon as you can! 

Also a good family/divorce lawyer?

(Try the Associacion de Mujeres - there is usually an office in every town/nearby city.  I am sure they will give you some good advice.

Ps - if he is violent towards you in anyway - denounce him immediately! Thankfully the Guardia take dimly on wife beaters these days.)