Yorkshireman in need of relocation answers
Posted: 07 October 2011 03:44 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-10-07

Hello. I’m a self employed music tutor and pro musician currently living in South Yorkshire. I’ve been to the Costa Dorada (mainly Salou) a handful of times as a tourist, and, despite the main thoroughfares being a bit Skegness/Blackpool/Cleethorpes, every aspect of the lifestyle over there seems superior to Blighty - weather, food, attitude, transport, the lot. Due to financial and familial factors, relocation (if it happens at all) is years away for me (5/6/7 perhaps), but I’m researching now to avoid any heartbreak at the 11th hour. If any members have experience of moving to that area (Tarragona is the ideal home, but I can imagine it being very expensive), or have moved to Spain and are tutors/teachers/musicians, I’d be very grateful for a few words of advice, caution or plain, honest discouragement. I’m in my 30s, and have no affection left for this sceptred isle…

Thankyou for reading!

Posted: 07 October 2011 03:41 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Whilst I would always advocate research for a relocation (in fact its essential) I think doing it now for a potential move 5-7 yrs away is too soon given the rapid changes in economic situations and EU laws etc. The only thing that might be certain in that timescale is that the sun should still be shining.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 08 October 2011 12:14 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-10-07

Thanks for the reply. I can appreciate that, by the time I’m ready to move, the economy and job opportunities over there may and I dare say will have changed profoundly, but I need to collate as many general testimonials now to make sure the region in general really is for me.

Posted: 13 October 2011 05:52 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Speccy:

In the meantime you might like to have a look at these links (all larger cities in Spain have a “Conservatorio de M?sica”).These are Music Academies.

http://www.filomusica.com/filo2/conserv.html

Perhaps they might need music teachers or at least provide information on available work at any given time.

Patricia

Posted: 14 October 2011 04:05 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-10-07

Fantastic! Many thanks, Patricia - that’s exactly the sort of info I’m looking for. 😊