Have Spanish Passport, but living in the Philippines
Posted: 20 October 2011 04:20 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-10-20

My half brother is a Spanish citizen, whose Spanish father is out of the picture. He has a Spanish passport and no Philippine passport. He was born and has lived in the Philippines all his life. We are going to Hongkong for a quick family vacation. My question is, will he have any problems re-entering the Philippines, or will he be allowed only to stay for 21 days (as ascribed in immigration law). I hope someone can give me an answer, because our trip is scheduled at the end of October.

Posted: 20 October 2011 11:12 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

My half brother is a Spanish citizen, whose Spanish father is out of the picture. He has a Spanish passport and no Philippine passport. He was born and has lived in the Philippines all his life.

i suppose his mother, your common parent is a filipino citizen, therefore he is also a filipino citizen.

We are going to Hongkong for a quick family vacation. My question is, will he have any problems re-entering the Philippines, or will he be allowed only to stay for 21 days (as ascribed in immigration law).

he will not have problems entering the philippines, since foreigners, who were former filipinos or children of filipino parents are given a yearlong visa stamped on his passport.
he will have problems leaving the philippines, though. if he shows only his spanish passport. the immigration official will ask for his ACR (alien certificate of registration) and he may be detained till he pays the fine as an overstaying alien.
since he was born in the philippines, he should have a birth certificate registered at the NSO. and since his mother is a filipino citizen, he can apply for a filipino passport. he just shows the filipino passport to go to hongkong and return to the philippines. if he goes to a country requiring a visa for filipinos but not for spaniards, he shows both passport to the immigration official at departure and arrival when he returns.  it is best to have a filipino passport on you for security when traveling abroad. many years ago, filipino passengers were released by hijackers from a plane but the european passport holders were not because they were valuable hostages.