5 Mexican generations passed, is there still a chance?
Posted: 02 November 2011 05:22 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-11-02

Hello!

First off, I’d like to say that this website is amazing! I’m looking forward to using it extensively since apparently the Spanish consulate here in Los Angeles is understaffed and won’t be able to see me until 2012!

Anywho, I’ll cut to the chase. I am first generation American of Mexican Descent. My great grandfather was born in Spain and apparently his birth certificate along with the rest of the birth certificates of my lineage are inside our family house in Sonora, Mexico. I am planning a family trip/research party in order to uncover some of these documents.

My questions is this: Am I really eligible to get Spanish citizenship or nationality or am I just chasing rainbows? I’ve read that grandchildren are eligible but I’m 5th generation. Will the Spanish authorities allow this? I just don’t want to get my hopes up for nothing.

Anything will help. ?muchas gracias!

Posted: 02 November 2011 05:30 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hmm, good question. I’ve definitely heard that grandparents are good, but 4 generations removed (great grandfather you said) might be a stretch.

It would be a very good idea to pal up to a very good immigration attorney who has connections on the inside. 😉

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.