Puerto Rican and Dominican heritage - Possible to reclaim Spanish citizenship?
Posted: 04 November 2011 02:55 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-11-04

Hello,

I’ll try to make this short and to the point. I’m American and moved to Puerto Rico three years ago to go to grad school. I got married last year to a Puerto Rican girl, whose father is Dominican. We’re both interested in applying for Spanish citizenship as to work within the EU, but as Puerto Rico is a US territory, we’re not sure if we’d have a better chance applying through a Spanish embassy in PR or DR.

Any advice is welcome. My wife is entitled to Dominican citizenship, and that could be another path to reclaim Spanish citizenship.

Please, all comments are welcome.

Les digo muchas gracias por adelantado!!

Best regards,

Adam

Posted: 04 November 2011 02:58 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I’d say almost certainly through the DR would be easier, but then again I’m not sure what path you’re talking about really. I know some central/south american countries have agreements with Spain to grant easy visas and reduce time to gain residency status, but I’m not sure if the DR or PR fall into those categories. What else have you found out?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 November 2011 04:07 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

Hello,

I’ll try to make this short and to the point. I’m American and moved to Puerto Rico three years ago to go to grad school. I got married last year to a Puerto Rican girl, whose father is Dominican. We’re both interested in applying for Spanish citizenship as to work within the EU, but as Puerto Rico is a US territory, we’re not sure if we’d have a better chance applying through a Spanish embassy in PR or DR.

unless you are trying to have spanish citizenship passed on to you from either your spanish citizen grandparent or parent or apply for spanish citizenship thru carta de naturaleza (like what Ricky Martin did) you cannot apply for spanish citizenship at the Spanish consulate.

Any advice is welcome. My wife is entitled to Dominican citizenship, and that could be another path to reclaim Spanish citizenship

was she a former spanish citizen?

your wife as a US citizen born in puerto rico, does not have to renounce her US citizenship if she gets spanish citizenship thru either Residency or Carta de Naturaleza.