Moving to Barcelona…Need Advice, PLEASE!!
Posted: 16 June 2007 10:36 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-06-16

I am an American planning to move to Barcelona in August.  I’ve been offered an opportunity to teach English for a school that is going to sponsor my visa.  I should be really excited, right?....

I’ve read pretty much every “moving to Spain” website that I can find and I’m incredibly overwhelmed.  I plan to stay in Spain for one year so I have to get a tourist visa.  This process seems so painful!  Outside of all the paperwork, I have to travel to Chicago to the consulate for my area of the country.  Then I have to go back in person to pick it up.

Now that you have a little background, here’s my real question.  Do I really need the tourist visa or can I fly under the radar?  I’m only staying for a year so I’m thinking of asking my employer if they would just pay me under the table and not hassle with the legal stuff.  I’m actually not a teacher.  I’ve worked in Human Resources for a large corporate environment for 10 years.  Teaching will be new for me, and thankfully, they have faith in me and are willing to train me.  I’m wondring how likely it would be for me to find some kind of PT Human Resources work (under the table), teach the other half of my time, and just enjoy my year in Barcelona, sin papelas.

I’ve been praying for an opportunity to return to Spain since I first visited a year ago.  Now that I have it, I feel like the stress is ruining my dream.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Any advice?