baby born in Barcelona
Posted: 22 January 2012 09:45 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-22

Hello,
My wife and I are planning to give birth to our baby in Barcelona and after 1 month or so pay a visit to our family in USA.( The baby’s mother has dual citizenship -spanish and USA - , father is USA citizen) .  My questions are:
1.- do I need to get my baby a USA passport in order to enter the USA ? or is there any other easier way?
2.- Given that the baby will be born in Barcelona, do I need to go then to Madrid to get the passport?  that would complicate things a bit…-planning date for airfares, etc… Is there any way you can expedite the passport procedures -like getting it done in 1 day?

I really appreciate your help! Thanks so much!

Posted: 23 January 2012 06:24 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

My wife and I are planning to give birth to our baby in Barcelona and after 1 month or so pay a visit to our family in USA.( The baby’s mother has dual citizenship -spanish and USA - , father is USA citizen) .  My questions are:
1.- do I need to get my baby a USA passport in order to enter the USA ? or is there any other easier way?

your baby as spanish citizen can be issued a spanish passport once you have the spanish birth certificate and i suppose a dni as well.
since your wife and baby will be leaving spain with spanish passports , and you, your wife can enter the usa with usa passports, it would be convenient for your baby to carry a usa passport, wouldn’t it? so you should go to the usa consulate in barcelona regarding this matter.

2.- Given that the baby will be born in Barcelona, do I need to go then to Madrid to get the passport?  that would complicate things a bit…-planning date for airfares, etc… Is there any way you can expedite the passport procedures -like getting it done in 1 day?

the birth certificate will be issued by the registro civil de barcelona, so once you have that you go the local barcelona police station issuing passports and dni. passports and dni are issued in 30 minutes, but you have to have the birth certificate with you and the certificado de empadronamiento, then go with your wife and the baby to the police station, your wife would have to carry with her her dni. you better get an appointment on line so you just get there when it is your turn.