gas connection on domestic oven/hob in the home…
Posted: 21 February 2012 05:28 AM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi, We are moving into a new home, there was an electric oven/hob there on arrival, we have got the builder to take it out as we prefer gas.  We have bought one of those basic ‘free standing’ hob/oven combis (very basic, but work a treat! - The type with the lid that flips up?)... We have had this type of gas appliance in all the properties we have lived in before. Just a simple bit of kit, connected to the orange butano bottle with the orange hose and metal connector. (Have bought all the bits from new at the feretteria to get us up and running!) Only the builder (English) now tells us ‘In his opinion’ we need a copper pipe fitting to ‘make sure it is safe.’  (The hose will go down behind the kitchen units and he thinks that ‘if there is a leak it will be difficult to get at.’)  I am not so sure where he is coming from and want to get some opinons from anyone that is ‘in the know’ regarding these things.  In my mind if we wanted to pull the cooker out to clean (or repair) in anyway, a fixed copper pipe will make this impossible (unless he is intending to use a plastic hose on both ends - in which case it seems pointless in the first place?) 
I know I need to discuss his idea with him again before he does any work.  We have always had just the official orange hose - no problems in all other properties.

Any idea where he is coming from on this?

Ta 😊

Posted: 25 February 2012 11:46 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Have finally found the answer (spoke to a very nice Ex Corgi man who is now living/working down here.) He gave free advice - how nice is that!

Basically - he would always recommend a special steel tube from the back of the cooker/hob (‘As the heat will melt the plastic hose), then have a joint away from appliance that you can connect it to/bottle as normal.

The law in Spain also, (if you bother to ever have a gas Bolitin done 😉  is the orange hose should never be more than 1.5M long, then you have to start having copper tubing in place again.

Posted: 01 March 2012 08:00 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-08-18

Lucky for you. My landlady recently got rid of the gas (bottle) oven and replaced it with an electric one - FAR more expensive and also crap for cooking on. :-(

Next time I move flat I’ll be adding gas oven/cooker to my list of ‘must haves’

Posted: 02 March 2012 08:37 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2007-02-25

The laws are part of the European standards for the installation a gas appliances. In the UK there are very tight requirements for anyone working on Gas applainces and joe public can not installa gas appliance legally, it will be exactly the same in Spain, but knowing the way they work in Spain, who knows what will happen.

If in doubt ask a proffessional gas engineer not the guy in the bar.

Signature 

http://www.damattproperty.com
http://www.rentproperty-spain.com