define “cold” in valencia.
Posted: 26 February 2012 01:39 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-02-13

Hi, can anyone tell me what is “cold” in Valencia, I am hoping to be moving there soon but keep hearing that it is cold in winter, currently I am living in Indre central France it’s been twelve degrees below this feb, now that’s cold. So I would be grateful if anyone could tell me just how so called “cold” it really can be.
Thanks Timic.

Posted: 27 February 2012 04:53 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Will this year been a chill one , here in spain and across the EU ... but temp have have gone back two around 12 oC again

Posted: 01 March 2012 07:52 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-08-18
timic - 26 February 2012 01:39 PM

Hi, can anyone tell me what is “cold” in Valencia, I am hoping to be moving there soon but keep hearing that it is cold in winter, currently I am living in Indre central France it’s been twelve degrees below this feb, now that’s cold. So I would be grateful if anyone could tell me just how so called “cold” it really can be.
Thanks Timic.

Hola. It doesn’t get THAT cold temperature wise but I’m pretty sure this “cold” you’ve heard about is a lot to do with the humidity or dampness of the air in the City. At times even when it’s not that cold you can feel a “dampness” on your skin and maybe in your bones etc. so it’s a ‘different kind of cold’ if you like.
And as you may know the majority of houses/flats in Spain are not designed for wet and cold conditions - no central heating, poor irrigation etc. so that’s another reason it feels cold in winter.

For example I was outside during the cold snap last month and when I got back home it wasn’t that much warmer inside the flat, whereas when I was back in England for some of ice age like conditions of Xmas 2010. Even though the maximum temperature during the day was -3 and down as low as -15 during the night I never really felt cold - because it was a ‘dry, icy’ cold which good clothing took care of and then of course I had a nice centrally heated house to get back to.

The humidity situation is kind of difficult to explain, but you’ll know for sure when you experience it. Anyway, at least ‘winter’ in most of Spain only lasts for ‘3 months’ on and off from December- February. March 1st and I’m in a t-shirt already.