Spanish citizenship, worth it?
Posted: 01 March 2012 04:40 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-12

I’m an American who’s married to a Spaniard. I’ve got my residency because of the marriage and have been living in Spain for a while now.?
I’m thinking of applying for Spanish citizenship because it would make traveling around Europe infinitely easier.?
From what I understand I’d have to denounce my American citizenship and surrender my passport to the Spanish authorities. But because I would never have the intent to really lose my citizenship and wouldn’t denounce it at the American embassy the US would still consider me American and would issue me another passport. Does anyone know for sure if this is correct??
My other question is would it be worth the headache? As we all know Spanish?bureaucracy is a nightmare (well,?bureaucracy?anywhere really) and I can’t see becoming a citizen being an easy process. So I’m not sure if being able to avoid lines while traveling will be worth it.?
Are there any other benefits of having both US and European citizenship that I’m not aware of?

Thanks in advance!?

Posted: 03 March 2012 02:25 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-02-27

I don’t think you will be required to surrender your US passport to the Spanish authorities.  Where did you get this information from?  The Spanish government has no authority to take any other countries passport, because it is US government property!