Non-lucrative VISA
Posted: 23 March 2012 06:00 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-23

Has anyone had recent success attaining a non-lucrative resident visa without the use of a immigration lawyer?  I have the required savings in various financial institutions in the US (I’m a US citizen).  My plan is to go to Spain in the fall and would like to get everything in order as soon as possible. 

Thanks

Posted: 26 March 2012 07:26 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-03-26

I applied without a lawyer, but haven’t heard back yet. Should hear about it one way or another in the next few weeks though. I don’t think they get too many requests for that visa though.

P.S. Don’t apply *too* early. Once they approve you, you have to travel to Spain within three months or your visa becomes invalid. And it takes ~2 months to get the visa should everything work out (more or less depending on the backlog in the particular consulate in which you apply).

Posted: 06 April 2012 10:11 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-04-06

I’m planning to apply for this visa, too. I own an internet company in the USA so will have continued income.
Is it true that you have to pay income tax in Spain with this visa - even if your income comes from another country?
Do you know how much income tax you need to pay, percentage wise?

Posted: 12 April 2012 06:36 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-26

Very possibly. You’ll need to check with someone out there to verify though. Don’t trust me. But my understanding is you do, and if you’re a US citizen, you also get to pay taxes in the US on top of that (the US refuses to give up that?every other country in the world does not tax citizens living abroad on their world income). There are some ways of filing to minimize double taxation though. Please, please check with someone in Spain and call the IRS before you file though (Believe it or not, the IRS are actually super nice and helpful if you call them).

Posted: 17 April 2012 02:29 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-04-17

I’m applying for the same visa (I’m Australian) but the consulate says I need an address in Spain (on the application form) to prove some ‘connection’ to Spain (family?).  I don’t have any family there.  She hinted maybe if I lease an apartment - then this might help, but she felt it would be difficult to get this of type visa otherwise.  I meet all other criteria.  Does anyone have any suggestions or experience on this issue?  Many thanks!

Posted: 17 April 2012 05:03 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-26

Er, that’s unfortunate. Consulates accept visa applications independently at the discretion of their consuls. There’s a spot on the form for an address in Spain, but it was definitely an optional field, and the people in the consulate by me here in the US didn’t mention anything when I didn’t fill it in (got the visa anyhow). I know many other people first look for a place to stay and get a lease/contract for a house/flat/apartment first before appyling to this type of visa, so I guess that your consulate is just expecting this behaviour. I’d just look around for places to live first then. Shouldn’t be too hard.

Posted: 23 April 2012 10:59 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-04-17

Thanks very much.  The consulate told me they need a Spanish address - as the local city needs to issue/approve this type of visa.  Does this make sense?  Basically they were hinting ‘rent an apartment, and this will improve your chances’  I’d appreciate your thoughts (or anyone elses).  thanks!

Posted: 23 April 2012 07:17 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-26

Ah, actually that makes sense. They spoke with Madrid for my visa because I told them I’d probably be there initially while I was speaking with the consular staff who took my application. I would just do what they recommend. Look around for a nice place to rent somewhere, speak with the owner, get him to write up some agreement or contract, and then submit that address on your application (perhaps with a copy of the contract). I can’t imagine they’d give you any trouble if you did all those things, as they would then know which community to speak to concerning you.