Are pets allowed on planes!
Posted: 01 October 2007 05:21 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-10-01

In your article re bringing pets to Spain you say:

‘If your pet is small enough, you can bring it on the plane via a crate that fits underneath your seat. If not, make a reservation with your airline and get the appropriate crate to store your pet’.

Can you do this legally flying from the UK to Spain?

Cheers

Posted: 02 October 2007 01:50 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

I must admit I thought pets were now allowed on flights if they were in proper cages and had all the rights papers and jabs etc however dont book on Easyjet!! This from their site:

14 Carriage of live animals

The carriage of live animals, including pets, insects, reptiles, or any other form of livestock, is forbidden under any circumstances, with the exception of service dogs for blind and/or deaf passengers and helping dogs for the disabled on all UK domestic flights and on all flights starting and finishing within mainland Europe (excluding UK routes). Service dogs and helping dogs will not be permitted to travel on flights to/from UK to mainland Europe or to/from Morocco. Flights from mainland Europe to Sicily, Sardinia or the Balearic Island (or vice versa) are considered flights within mainland Europe for this purpose. ?Mainland Europe? for the purposes of this policy is considered to be all routes on the easyJet network, excluding flights to/from UK to mainland Europe or to/from Morocco.

Check the other carriers web sites perhaps they have different policies on animals.

You can of course bring them in a car!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 02 October 2007 01:57 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

This question has got me intrigued because I am sure that I have seen dogs coming through arrivals gate at Alicante - so I have done some more research and found that Monarch with carry pets:

flying with animals

Monarch is happy to carry pets on our flights, under the current Pets Passport Scheme as authorised by the DEFRA. Please note:

* Carriage is subject to availability and a charge will be made for each pet carried. A maximum of 4 animals will be permitted on each flight.
  * Pets can be carried from all Monarchs scheduled UK departure airports, but for the time being can only be returned via London Gatwick & Manchester.
  * Animals are carried in the hold of the aircraft.
  * No animals are permitted in the passenger cabin or to be carried as excess luggage.
  * The carriage of ALL pets shall be conducted in accordance with the current ‘Carriage of Animals’ regulations, as published by IATA, and the Pet Passport Scheme requirements as required and published by DEFRA.

I have heard that Russian and Chinese (internal) flights have pets in the cabin! But you know how these rumours start…......

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 02 October 2007 03:25 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-10-01

Thanks Rob :(

I thought it a bit strange that pets were allowed in cages under the seat in the cabin.

I’m sure many of the other passengers would have something to say about this… allergies, fears ... etc etc.

Thanks for all the great research!

PS

I notice you add your website to your signature. How do you do this?

Posted: 19 October 2007 03:52 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-08-22

Hi
I travelled from the UK to Spain in May this year with my 6 month old puppy.  I flew with Monarch airlines.  My puppy wasn’t allowed to fly in the cabin but had to go in the hold with the luggage etc.  I have just spoken to someone else who was enquiring about flying their dog over and found that another lady flew hers out with BA.  It appears she paid a lot less than me at the time but when I was booking Monarch worked out far cheaper than BA.  I was rather worried about my dog travelling but to be honest she was really well looked after and when I collected her from the cargo terminal at Malaga she was as lively as anything and none the worse for travelling.

I think the key when looking is to see which airline works out cheaper at the time as the prices really do seem to vary.  I paid ?365 which included the cost of the dog cage ?60 however if you have your own then you obviously save on this.  My flight with monarch was only 12.99 with taxes.  With BA it was working out and extra ?200 however the other lady got hers for around ?230 complete.  We both were advised to book our flights first then ring and book our pets on.

Good luck
Sherryl

Posted: 13 March 2008 06:05 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-03-13

My husband and I brought our two small dogs (Chihuahua and Boston terrier) from Montreal to Mallorca this summer in-cabin but we had to figure out which airlines would take us from Canada. KLM and Lufthansa were pretty much our only options but they were GREAT, especially Lufthansa, and other than the flight crew, no one even knew our dogs were there. They stayed in their travel bags under the seats in front of us during the whole flight(s) and didn’t make a sound. No one complained, no one sneezed, no one was afraid. I wish more airlines had the in-cabin policy but I suppose some of the few have ruined it for the many. Such is life. Good luck!

Posted: 14 March 2008 03:48 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-10-01

i have often seen passengers travelling to france or germany take pets in the main cabin.

I dont think any carrier will allow pets to UK to be in cabin.

daft really as a cat or small dog is not a problem.

Robin..

Posted: 19 March 2008 12:01 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-02-11

Whenever I take a transatlantic flight I always find myself sitting next to someone that makes it impossible for me to sleep.  If your dogs stayed still through an entire transatlantic flight, kudos to them!  Did you medicate them ?  The only way I would remain still for an entire transatlantic leg is through medication…

😊

Cat777 - 13 March 2008 06:05 AM

My husband and I brought our two small dogs (Chihuahua and Boston terrier) from Montreal to Mallorca this summer in-cabin but we had to figure out which airlines would take us from Canada. KLM and Lufthansa were pretty much our only options but they were GREAT, especially Lufthansa, and other than the flight crew, no one even knew our dogs were there. They stayed in their travel bags under the seats in front of us during the whole flight(s) and didn’t make a sound. No one complained, no one sneezed, no one was afraid. I wish more airlines had the in-cabin policy but I suppose some of the few have ruined it for the many. Such is life. Good luck!

Posted: 26 March 2008 03:47 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-03-26

Hi,

With regards to pets on planes. Try Iberia airlines. As far as I know they are one of the few carriers to and from Spain that take pets in the cabin. I was looking to take a puppy from Alicante to Milan and they would take him.

Hope this helps.