Barcelona - bring the car, or rely on public transportation?
Posted: 05 November 2007 09:49 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-11-03

Hey all, looking to move to Barcelona this summer, and trying to decide how much of my crap to bring and how much to just offload. I’ll be coming from the midwestern US, so shipping probably won’t be terribly cheap. As is, I figure I’ll be offloading the vast bulk of my stuff, but the item that I’m still trying to decide on is my car. From what I’ve seen of various transit maps, the public transportation in BCN seems to be quite good, but I can’t say I’m a terribly good judge of that - we have pretty much no public transportation here, just miles and miles of suburban sprawl. Does the benefit of a car there outweigh the hassle/cost of importing it? Or is it just easier to walk/bike/take the metro everywhere?

Posted: 05 November 2007 10:09 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hmm,  perhaps I should reinforce this point elsewhere on the site…

Public transportation in Barcelona is better than NYC. :D

And you can rent a little car for like 20? per day.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 November 2007 11:45 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-11-03

Well. Certainly settles that! Thanks!