Dental Treatment for kids
Posted: 29 November 2007 12:48 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-08-07

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help.

We are planning to move to the Mar Menor area of Murcia next June with 3 kids aged 12,13 and 16.

The two youngest ones have just been told that they need to have orthodontic braces fixed in the next couple of weeks.

We are panicking a bit now as to how much this will cost us in Spain and I have been trawling the internet for information on medical and dental cover and treatment but cant find anything.

I am sure the treatment is available and very good but can anyone tell me how much it might cost us for 2 kids?

Thanks for your interest.

Julie

Posted: 21 January 2008 12:11 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-01-21

Hello, Julie -

We are US family recently arrived, with a 12 year old with braces.  In Valencia, we have an English-speaking orthodontist.  We will be paying 650 euro x two (upper + lower) for the brackets to be reinstalled, because we chose an ortho who uses different size brackets than our US ortho.  After that 80 euro per month.

Prices may be a bit different for us, since we are here temporarily and will return to the US later next year - not sure how that affects the treatment plan.  If possible, recommend that you find an ortho who uses same size brackets, to avoid the big up-front costs.  For us, it was an issue of communication since we had no time to study Spanish before arrival, so right now we need the communication ability, plus the office is run by a parent of our son’s schoolmate.  Good luck!

Posted: 24 January 2008 12:00 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-08-07

Hi

Thanks for this response.  We heard that the ortho equipment is different also for us in the UK from Spain.

We had to get our youngest started in the UK as his requirement we very urgent and I am not sure how we will continue his treatment - perhaps coincide it with visits to the UK?  But the other child, we have decided to wait until we go to Spain and start her treatment there.

Do you like living in Spain?  Have you settled and has your 12 year old settled?  Where in Valencia are you staying?

We are coming out in Feb with the kids to decide if we DEFINITELY want to make the move (to Murcia).  If the kids like it we will then start to make plans.

Kind regards

Julie and Gary