Spain’s Healthcare System
Posted: 23 December 2007 07:59 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-12-23

Could someone please tell me exactly what sort of healthcare system Spain works under
I have heard it is Universal healthcare (government sponsored)

Could someone tell me if that means you have to pay co-pays to the doctors for visits?
Is EVERYTHING covered?  surgeries, blood tests, x-rays, and such.

What about prescriptions? Are they covered too?

If not,  what sort of costs for prescriptions, and can you usually get the same medications in Spain that you would be able to get in the USA or the UK? (blood pressure meds,, etc)

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: 23 December 2007 10:56 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Prescriptions are waaaay cheaper in Spain and you can get (almost?) everything you can back home.

There are two systems for healthcare: public and private. Check out more on our health care page

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 23 December 2007 10:57 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-04-19

..............all depends on your age, if you are receiving a UK retirement pension, then reciprocal free healthcare is standard (with an E121) and possibly superior to the UK. If you are under retirement age you are only covered under the free reciprocal agreement with an E109 for a period of 18 months, but the E109 is only available if you meet certain past tax year working requirements. After 18 months you would need private healthcare and with most a fee is paid to the doctor for each visit.
This is not the case if you are working here with a contract and are paying into the Spanish equivalent of the national insurance system, if you are doing this then of course you would be afforded the same healthcare as the Spanish population.
This is a sweeping guideline and as always is dependant on some criteria being met. If you meet the requirements then yes, everything is covered.
Blood pressure meds are currently for sale over the counter at chemists as are many p.o drugs.
Regards from the mountains

Have added this as I now understand you are from USA and these rules would not apply, sorry but from your post as you mentioned the UK I assumed thats where you were from!

Posted: 23 December 2007 11:47 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-12-23

Hi Lizzielogs,
Thanks for responding…yes I am from the USA.
I’m a little confused then, does being from America mean I
I wouldn’t be eligible for the Government healthcare system?
(I would be full time employed)

Posted: 05 January 2008 09:41 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-04-19

Hi, I should think everyone in full time employment with a Spanish employer would be paying into the state scheme and have the same entitlements as a Spanish national.