Granada Airport Update…
Posted: 27 January 2008 02:05 AM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

I have just received information from a contact regarding the possible re-introduction of Monarchs service from Granada to Gatwick.

Its only tentative and is along a path being very carefully trodden.

I include here a letter from the Honorary British Consul in Granada in which she calls for support from those people who feel that Malaga is not the only airport in Spain…

quote;

‘Dear Everybody,

On Monday of this week the new British Ambassador in Spain, Denise Holt, made her first official visit to Granada. She had interviews with the different city authorities, and among them with the Presidente de la Diputaci?n Provincial, with whom she had a long conversation about the low-cost airlines flying between Granada and the UK. These flights have made a great difference to the life of the British residents in Granada and province, as well as to tourists and Erasmus students and many others.

The Presidente de la Diputaci?n has held talks with Monarch airlines with the intention of increasing their subsidies in order that they may resume flights in the spring. He has also made great efforts to achieve a considerable increase in the backing from the Chamber of Commerce.

He has asked me if I can request letters of “support” from the English community who live or holiday here; this means support for his activity and efforts to maintain the low-cost airlines (even the continuity of Ryanair has been imperilled, because of the fact that the City Corporation has discontinued their financial backing). It would be extremely useful if you could write a letter, either to him (via me at this e-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) or directly to me, mentioning how important these flights (in general) are to you for visiting your family or doing business in the UK, for your frequent visits during the year….

You can write in either Spanish or English, and I will collect together your letters, print them out and take them to D. Antonio Mart?nez Caler, preferably next week, because he would like this support to take to the big FITUR (Tourist Fair) in Madrid.. He is doing a great job, I think!

Yours sincerely,

Diana L. Kelham

Honorary British Consul in Granada’

unquote

Can I ask there fore everyone on the forum get in touch and show your support and express your views.

I strongly support any action that will restore a service from Granada to Gatwick. Monarchs action in cancelling the flights was, I consider, to be extremely short sighted with absolutely no thought given to the hundreds if not thousands of regular and irregular passengers on this route.

Malaga simply is not an alternative to the Granada service, but one that we are stuck with if Andalucia Inland passengers want an airport with a service to Gatwick.

For many hundreds of travellers, Ryanair’s service is not viable, since departures/arrivals from/to Liverpool, East Midlands or Stansted are just logistically stupid for people living South of the Thames in Kent, Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire, Berkshire and Dorset.
We dont need to be faced with a three to four hour drive to an airport which lies in totally the opposite direction to that in which we need to travel and then to be faced with a possible two or three hour drive on arrival at Malaga.

Malaga is currently at saturation point, a fact well recognised by AENA who are doing all that they can to ease the situation, but until the new terminal is open and the new runway is built the delays involved in actually getting into the airport will continue to be horrendous.

I will contact Diana offering my support and will paste the content of her message into as many forums as I can.
It is vital that this service be resumed as soon as possible.

If it means restructuring Monarchs pricing system then so be it. It’s high time that all of these low-cost airlines realised that offering passenger fares which equate to less than their rates for hold baggage is not the way to do business.
Thanks again

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 10 February 2008 05:28 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

I thought it was crap that Monarch pulled the plug on the service. Have already signed up to the petition.

I know nothing for certain, but I have the sneaky feeling that Veuling might look to get their foot in the door. It would be a very good opportunity for them.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 10 February 2008 09:28 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

lot off the airlines are cut routes around EU just main citys are the one that are makeing money for them .....
pitty that stop , see spanair cutting Magala - Madrid due to AVG train

Posted: 26 May 2008 12:36 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-05-26

I wish they would put on a service from Belfast to Granada…my girlfriend lives in Ja?n so if travelling I either fly to Liverpool a day early, sleep there all night hoping that noone steals my case, just so I can catch the 6am flight to Granada with Ryanair who, by the way, might as well transport sardines with the amount of leg room and service they offer. Failing this, I can fly Belfast to Malaga, but only on Saturdays when they don’t work for the 3 hour drive to pick me up!

I know the routes have to be economical, such as Malaga to Madrid, there’s an obvious alternative with the train, but Belfast to Granada… HELP ME!!

Posted: 26 May 2008 03:21 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi,
Might be worth considering Belfast-East Midlands-Granada. Still Ryanair Im afraid but there is a flight daily from Belfast at 0755 which arrives East Mids at 0900. Means hanging around East Mids all day to make the Granada connection at 1550. I too would prefer not to use Ryan’s Guiness Tanker but they are the only outfit using Granada for direct flights from the UK. Also take a look at Ryans fares from Belfast to E. Mids…0.01p…and no taxes on some flights. You should note however that the East Mids Granada sector is only operated on Tues, Thurs and Saturday…
Worth considering…
Best of luck.

Signature 

Help desperately needed

Posted: 28 May 2008 01:44 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

you got liverpool aswell but early flights around 7 am ........

Posted: 28 May 2008 04:40 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

Dont you just love it when people make a request for help and information and then just bu**er off never to be heard from again…

Signature 

Help desperately needed