Wanting to get out of Florida!
Posted: 07 February 2008 10:07 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-02-07

Basically I?m a 26 year old guy about to finish my second degree here in Florida, usa.
My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving to Spain as the us economy is in a recession and life is too short you should change as much as you can kind of attitude. I have always loved the idea of living in Europe I think it started by watching top gear episodes. And I have always thought about moving to Spain. The lifestyle of being environmentally responsible with mass transit and the fact that I can theoretically visit all these countries within hours of each other fascinates me. Anyways I was wondering if it is really possible to move to Spain based one job offer. How do I go about doing this? I read about visa?s and such but I was wondering if there was some real specific technology job sites such as for a game/simulation programmer(Myself) and Graphic Designer (my girlfriend) . I was also wondering what starting salaries ranged from if it was lower than here or if it was more, I am Brazilian so I do speak Spanish fluently as well as Portuguese which could help me with my move, but I was wondering if anyone had any specific feedback, and if this was just something I?m thinking of that isn?t really possible.
And thanks again for making this site and maintain it has been an awesome resource!

Posted: 07 February 2008 06:58 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-01-04

As far as the salary issue goes, you will be paid lower in Spain in your field than anywhere in the US. This is certain. It comes largely from being taxed so much higher. So you will have to get used to a lower income. However, in my opinion, the quality of life and lifestyle make it all worth it. I cant say a specific salary range as Im not familiar with rates in your field. In my field, I will take roughly a 10000-15000 (USD) a year pay cut to work in Spain rather than in north america. Maybe more.

Posted: 07 February 2008 07:01 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-02-07

so entry level here is about 60k you would say its about 45k euro? or 45k dollar?

Posted: 07 February 2008 07:05 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-04

Yeah, that might be a good rough estimate.
For me, in the chemical engineering field, with my education and experience, I can command about 70-80 K (USD) in north america a year. In spain, Im looking at 50 to 60 K euros a year in Spain. And this would be a very high estimate.
Salaries are just a bit more ‘modest’ in Spain.

Posted: 07 February 2008 07:09 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-02-07

but is the cost of living lower ?
or higher?

Posted: 07 February 2008 07:38 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-04

The only two things I really found more affordable in Spain (I was in the north) were alcohol and cigarettes. I like both of these tihngs so that part was much more economical for me.
Things like groceries and clothes were somewhat more expensive than in north america. Not hugely more expensive, but enough that you would take a bit of notice. Oh yeah, and gasoline is nearly double, if not more, than what it is in north america.
So yeah, the cost of living is a bit higher I would say. Not unreasonably higher, but somewhat. What you will earn will be in pretty good agreement with the cost of living.
Things are of course more expensive in Madrid and Barcelona. Housing/renting prices are very high in these locations. Generally everything gets a bit cheaper as you move toward the south. But of course, salaries tend to drop as you move toward the south too.

Posted: 08 February 2008 04:32 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

“us economy is in a recession” think very where is slowing down , the company i work for is to hold off heiring staff untill summer 2008(that look again see whats happen) but thay did have adds in the papers looking for more staff up til last week .
Usa
If you move south off Madrid this drop off but end up in the Coast area like the Cost del Sol you pay high rents again
jobs are not there unless you 100 spanish speacking

there sale on this week and last off the sales so think are going very cheap , last night bought shirt for 10 euros was 69 euros
so if you wait you fine it cheapper

fuel is 90 cent a litro and some place you pay 1.10 euros . Doller is good if you buy it as its 1.46 = 1 EURO BANKS 1.42

jurdy