compulsory purchase of property.
Posted: 01 March 2008 06:45 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-01

The short version:
Five years ago I bought a house in a small town near Tarragona with the ?verbal? permission of the local council?s architect for me to convert into 3 apartments. A month after completion, commissioning an architect, making drawings, and gathering building quotes from construction companies, I went back to the counsel to apply for the permissions to start the refurbishment. Only to be told that the council wish to purchase the property from me with a plan to demolish it to widen the road.

Apparently their plans for my house were not official at the time of my initial enquiries or purchase date. A few months and many meetings later I was issued with a letter stating their intent. Compulsory purchase. Since then I have engaged a Lawyer from Tarragona to handle my case. It started with ?this could take up to a year? and is now in limbo, four years later, somewhere between paper work, local budgets etc, and to top it all my lawyers refuse to answer my emails, return any calls, or see me when I drive from Barcelona to their offices.

Does anyone out there have any similar experience. Does anyone know what my rights are in this case. I am now broke having spent all my savings awaiting the outcome?.which started with I remind you, ?this could take up to a year??? Gotta love this country a?

Patrick100