Renting a van Uk-Spain
Posted: 16 March 2008 05:03 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-03-16

Hello everyone! Im new to this forum! first post! Its quite an interesting forum to be honest, because Im actually from Spain, and its quite nice to see my country from a completely different perspective! 😊 through your eyes!
So, yeah Im from Spain but Ive lived in England for 7 years, but this summer Im finally moving back to Spain! So I just wanted some advice from you experts!
I would like to take some of my belongings, I dont have a lot at all, so I was thinking about hiring a van. But do you know of any place where I could hire a van in the Uk but leave it Spain?? Ive called a couple of places and havent had any luck so far!! Do you have any advice, suggestion??
Thanks a lot!
Elena

Posted: 16 March 2008 06:01 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-12-08

Hi,

I’m almost in the same boat but that I’m in the process of moving to Spain and have just been looking at sites this morning and came across this one from the Costa Blanca News. It’s the only one I found that does self-drive one way:-
http://www.j-hire.co.uk/index.html
Hope it helps. If you use them maybe you can let me know what they’re like or if indeed you don’t use them but find someone else who could help me.
Cheers AL

Posted: 16 March 2008 06:09 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-03-16

Thanks so much!!! It is a really useful webpage!!! I will be moving at the end of July, so I will def let you know how it goes if I use it, or if I find anything else!
thanks so much 😊

Posted: 15 July 2008 11:44 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-07-15

I have used a company in Salisbury/Jacarilla that offers one way self drive. Van was much to small for household moves with single wheel base. Looked cheap in the first place but be careful. Not much advice on weight/load from the company - which ended us an on top bill of euro 500 in addition to he rental due to tire puncture. And not to mention the hazzle and delay ....  They even offered to partly cover the cost while we phoned them during the trip - but silence afterwords.  Not sure what the weight of the van was (hard to find out if you are not a professional mover) - but luckily the Guardia Civial did not stop us to weight the van with load - which I understand can result in very heavy fines.  Much better and cheaper to have a professional company to the job.  I would reckon our move cost us twice as much as using a professional company (I am not a removal company so this a very honest advise).

Posted: 22 July 2008 12:01 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-12-08

Hi,
I actually used the company and had no problems. The vehicle was the size of a Mercedes Sprinter ( a Vaulxwagon(?) I think) and as said all was fine. I actually came over on the Bilbao ferry, whilst the journey was that little longer I worked it out that by the time you paid for the extra mileage going through France and the stop over it was cheaper and there were 2 of us. Luckily the Bay was a smooth crossing so we could relax for a couple of days enroute, the drive down was OK as well, less than 8 hours but we weren?t hanging around. One problem was that my sat nav was a couple of years old and I couldn?t download updates from the PC so some of the time roads we were on weren?t recognised on the sat nav but we made it OK.
Cheers AL

Posted: 22 July 2008 12:06 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-12-08

Forgot to say that I had all my household goods and some and it was OK. One double bed, futon, 3 piece suite, 36” tv (the older style with table), patio furniture, bar stools, loads of fishing tackle, and more boxes than you can imagine, all was fine vehicle size wise for me.
Cheers AL

Posted: 27 July 2008 03:23 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-07-27

Hi There.
We are also new to this forum - although my husband has been using the site since our research began some 4 years ago. We are finally moving to Valencia in September and are also looking at the most cost effective way to transport our ‘stuff’. We would be interested to know if anyone out there has found a way to hire transport one way, since the idea of returning it seems ludicrous and costly. We have considered purchasing a second hand ‘box trailer’ (they are around ?1400 new), but sourcing one is nigh on impossible! All advice would be warmly welcomed - also, if anyone has made the move to this area (particularly Xativa, LLiria etc) we aould be grateful for tips and guidance re- llocal property market etc.

elena - 16 March 2008 05:03 PM

Hello everyone! Im new to this forum! first post! Its quite an interesting forum to be honest, because Im actually from Spain, and its quite nice to see my country from a completely different perspective! 😊 through your eyes!
So, yeah Im from Spain but Ive lived in England for 7 years, but this summer Im finally moving back to Spain! So I just wanted some advice from you experts!
I would like to take some of my belongings, I dont have a lot at all, so I was thinking about hiring a van. But do you know of any place where I could hire a van in the Uk but leave it Spain?? Ive called a couple of places and havent had any luck so far!! Do you have any advice, suggestion??
Thanks a lot!
Elena

Posted: 25 August 2009 03:10 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-08-25
PlutoandPele - 15 July 2008 11:44 PM

I have used a company in Salisbury/Jacarilla that offers one way self drive. Van was much to small for household moves with single wheel base. Looked cheap in the first place but be careful. Not much advice on weight/load from the company - which ended us an on top bill of euro 500 in addition to he rental due to tire puncture. And not to mention the hazzle and delay ....  They even offered to partly cover the cost while we phoned them during the trip - but silence afterwords.  Not sure what the weight of the van was (hard to find out if you are not a professional mover) - but luckily the Guardia Civial did not stop us to weight the van with load - which I understand can result in very heavy fines.  Much better and cheaper to have a professional company to the job.  I would reckon our move cost us twice as much as using a professional company (I am not a removal company so this a very honest advise).

I and my friends have used a company in torre del mar near malaga and they have been fine,
Yes they are not new vans but in my experience they have been reliable and a lot cheaper.
If you was hiring a car for 5 people you would check there was enough seats for everyone.
So maybe you should have made sure the van was big enough before you hired it.

JUST A THOUGHT

Posted: 05 November 2009 03:44 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-11-05

hola - this was something we also needed to do. We recently moved from the Midlands to just outside Cartegena using a company called vanomos.com. We were able to pick a van up locally (Worcester) and drop it off in Torrevieja, but they also seem to have other locations in the UK and Spain.

We had a Luton van which was ample for our bits and pieces but they also had big ford transit vans. All told it worked out cheaper than a removals company (even with the ferry, fuel, etc) and actually we got to see bits of Spain we wouldn’t otherwise have! Hope it helps, Victor

Posted: 06 February 2010 02:18 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-08-09

Hello everyone.
Hopefully I can help. I run a plant nursery in Essex and travel out to Spain with a 6.5 tonne lorry and box trailer about 10 times a year to collect Olive trees etc. Mainly running to Valencia, Elche and Lorca. I run out empty and can move anything from a sofa to a car. It’s all enclosed and I am with the truck all the time as it has a sleeper pod. If you are interested then please contact me through my website http://www.toddsbotanics.co.uk or by my mobile. 07970 643711. I have been doing this for several years and take something out with me most times. Hope to hear from you.
Mark

‹‹ Cadiar      Shipping & Storage - HELP ››