In this salary enough to live in Spain?
Posted: 10 July 2008 12:19 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-07-10

Hello,
I have an offer to take a Job in Barcelona, paying ?75000 / year + 15%BONUS + 15% Stock + Life + Accident Insurance.
Will that be enough to feed and dress my family of 4 + cat, get a decent car and buy a house at some stage?

I was looking for a brut/net converter everywhere on the internet but there does not seem to be one, if there is a HR wiz online I would appreciate it if you could let me know what that is in net salary.

Thank you very much for your help!
Andi

Posted: 10 July 2008 10:21 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

The average wage in Spain is 25,000 Euro`s, so your above that.

But like most things in life, the more you earn the more you spend, so you won`t starve or need to safe cardboard, but you`ll be living in a city that will cost you more than the rest of Spain.

Barcelona is similar to London, so cost`s are similar.

I would estimate that your 75,000 plus in Barcelona would give you the lifestyle of someone earning say 30,000 in Extramadura.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 16 August 2009 08:03 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-08-16

I read here the av wage in spain is 25k euros errrrrr no not near that at all you need the facts go to eurostat or eu website its much lower. 75k euros is fine for barcelona BUT and its a big but ask yourself what you will do if you lose your job (these things happen) are you going to be able to find such a salary again? You will have bought a house? Not wise at this time or in the next 18 months! Be smart if you’re a professional with a 75k salary I make that assumption make sure the contract is watertight and includes a clause to get you home with 3-6 months severance if they cancel or lay you off etc. I am from Uk and Barca is roughly 20% cheaper to live in than London BUt housing is quote high though with your salary fine. Enjoy but be smart many people arrive here with a vision of sun and sea etc etc its your family make sure you have a get out plan and enough monies to see you home safely if you need to use it.

Posted: 16 August 2009 08:19 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2009-04-23

you selling your bum

Posted: 16 August 2009 12:48 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23
chairboy - 16 August 2009 08:03 AM

I read here the av wage in spain is 25k euros errrrrr no not near that at all you need the facts go to eurostat or eu website its much lower.

I copied this, its from around the time I posted.

Average wage in Spain

Average salaries in Spain 34% lower than the rest of the EU

The average salary in Spain is 34% lower than in the rest of the EU according to a study published today by Adecco and IESE with reference to figures taken from 2008.
The report shows that the average gross salary in the EU was 32,414 euros while in Spain it was 21,402 euros. Furthermore, it shows that in countries like Denmark, the UK or Germany that the average salary was over 40,000 euros a year compared to the average salary in Eastern European countries where it didn?t reach 10,000 euros.

We could both copy thousands of quotes, all different.

Most of the 50 or so people I worked with all earned between 10,000 - 30,000.

Most Spaniards wages are a low basic with bonuses/overtime increasing the take home pay.

I doubt its possible to get an accurate figure but the above quote is from EU sites.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

‹‹ Pension Poverty      Money Transfer to UK? ››