Shipping to Spain from the US via Global Express Mail.  Customs, delayed delivery, etc?
Posted: 29 November 2006 05:48 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-11-29

Hello Everyone,

I’m new here.  I found this forum after Googling for information about shipping packages from the United States to Spain.  I apologize if this post is in the wrong sub-forum, or if anything else is incorrect 😊

Here’s my dilemma.  I sold a purse on a buying/selling medium for handbags, wallets and accessories on a Fashion Forum.  My buyer lives in Madrid.  I decided to ship via USPS Global Express Mail, at a cost of $40.  I shipped it addressed to her home business, with her name on the “Attention” line.  I double checked the address, spelling, etc.

The buyer was very helpful when it came to international shipping, and very patient with me. I’ve only shipped to Canada before, via UPS, with no problems. I packed the item well, asked the postman to put tons of tape on it, and filled out a customs form. It went out on Monday, November 20. I have been able to track it so far, and as of Wednesday, November 22, it had arrived in Spain. The tracking information says “Into Foreign Customs” in Spain at 6:40 p.m., and also “Arrived Abroad in Spain” at 6:40 p.m.

According to the USPS Web site, Global Express Mail should take 3-5 business days. How long does it usually take for a package to get through customs after it arrives at its destination country? I’m somewhat nervous, since it says tracking information is updated every evening, but it hasn’t been updated since Thursday, November 23.

I’m wondering, for those of you who live in Spain, have you had many problems with Correos delivering your packages?  How slow does customs usually move packages through in Spain?  I declared the item as a “Used Handbag,” exactly what it is. I thought I did everything right?

How long has it taken you all to receive packages shipped via Global Express Mail?  Also, has anyone had problems with Global Express Mail? I’ve heard they are reliable. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! 😊

Posted: 29 November 2006 04:01 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Cristina,
Yeah, I’ve had a lot of problems with customs… then again I was shipping more disputable items like vitamins (big mistake). But I think the worst I’ve heard is a week to have a package stuck in customs.

Hope it works out.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.