Precription Medicine in barcelona?
Posted: 04 January 2007 04:24 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-10-15

Hi, Does anyone know if you need a precription to buy antibiotics from pharmacies in Barcelona?  I have a prescription from my UK doctor for Metronidazole which you can only get on prescription in the UK, but I am not sure if I can buy this over the counter here in Spain?  Else, does anyone know the rules about sending a precription medicine from the UK to spain by post, if I get someone else to collect the medicine for me from the UK and post it to me?  Thanks for any advice!

Posted: 04 January 2007 04:40 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I guess it depends on the pharmacist. I’ve filled prescriptions for months on end without an actual prescription by bringing in my bottle of antibiotics and handing it to the pharmacist. It kinda helps to play dumb I think. If one pharmacist doesn’t help you then try the next pharmacy down the block (they’re everywhere).

Otherwise no, technically you need to have a prescription 😉.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 04 January 2007 04:30 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-10-15

Thanks for the reply.  I will try it out and see what happens!