US citizen married to ES citizen, moving to barcelona (alone)
Posted: 03 March 2009 04:13 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-03-03

hello everyone,
trying to figure out if i should be coming in on a visa, or no…

my situation:
i’m a u.s. citizen. was married to a spanish citizen in the u.s. but had it made official at the spanish embassy, and while we were in madrid last year i got residency (he did it for me - so i *think* i have residency?) and a tarjeta de sanitaria.

i’m planning on moving to barcelona (by myself) this summer, to study and later find a job. do i need a visa of any sort? or to transfer my residency (if i have it) and healthcare from madrid to barcelona?

gracias!

Posted: 03 March 2009 04:26 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Sounds like you should be good to go. You have residency right? That covers the whole country…

You’ll want to get a new sanitaria card when you get to BCN though, as well as empadronarse.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 03 March 2009 04:28 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-03-03

muchas gracias! 😊

Posted: 09 March 2009 02:42 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-03-03

hello,
after going through the paperwork i have i don’t see anything that refers to residency. i have a Libro de Familia and a tarjeta de sanitaria but that seems to be it. how might i go about getting a residency? would i need a visa after all to study and work?

Posted: 10 March 2009 08:07 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-09-02

With libro de familia you can apply for residency, no problem at all. You will just need to wait some time to get it. When you have it, you dont need visa and work permit. Now, there are only 2 points in question: 1) in order to enter Spain you will need visa I guess, or you need to be with your husband and show libro de familia to the police 2) I wonder how did you get tarjeta sanitaria if you didnt have residency

Posted: 11 March 2009 07:26 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-03-03

yes, that’s what gave me pause as well. i do remember going to an office to sign paperwork which i am thinking was the residency… however i have no papers stating i am a resident.