Pillaging of Spanish artwork during Napolean’s rule
Posted: 22 July 2006 03:14 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2006-02-03

One fine day in Sevilla, I was walking into a church when a notice board caught my attention: “4 paintings by Murillo were stolen from this church by a French guy 200 years ago and now are in museums in the USA, Canada, UK, and Russia rather than here where they belong.” On a whim, I decided to send letters and annoy some museum directors (or at least waste their secretary’s time). On further investigation, I started actually caring. If ten years ago, everybody was big on returning art stolen by the Nazis, isn’t it about time, we go back in time? I know the argument about, say, the British Museum and all the stuff taken during colonial times: the past is the past, let’s not ruffle it up, and besides millions of people go through the museum and enjoy the stuff. The more I’ve thought about it, though, the more I consider that argument total crap. Theft is theft, it’s time to return the stuff where it belongs.

During Napolean’s very brief rule of Spain, wagonloads after wagonloads of the best Spanish art was stolen and brought to France. From there, most of it was sold, and still remains in collections around the world. (Check out http://www.museoimaginado.com/expolio%20napoleónico.htm. Also check the letters I wrote at http://www.explodingtesticle.com/paintingsgone.php). 

I find it strange that the Spanish government doesn’t care about their lost patrimony, nor do there appear to be any Spanish activists working on it—too much humility in this country, perhaps?

Anyway, if someone’s in a self-righteous mood and wants to annoy some museum directors, the next step would be to write some press releases and try to get some actual pressure. Any takers?

Posted: 26 June 2007 05:17 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2007-06-08

Pffffff,

Two words: Southamerican riches…

Posted: 27 June 2007 02:01 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-02-03

Of course, Spain is not blameless. All the gold medallions that are in Spain should be returned also.  I’m sure it was almost all melted down—issues of restitution could get crazy. But wherever ownership can be proven, the items should be returned. This church in Sevilla is not to blame for the plundering of the Americas.

(by chance, the first shipment of treasure back to Spain was stolen by a French pirate ship).

Posted: 30 June 2007 06:31 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2007-06-08

Sorry, i think i have to emphasize a bit more here…

I’ve skipped on the idea of countries for some time now; I would think a lot of the problems we have currently roaming the globe are based in a believe that nations are everlasting. Which by now has proven wrong.

Let me just say, the pieces of art found a nice place to stay, so why would they be complaining…

Posted: 08 July 2007 03:32 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-02-03

I agree . . . countries have nothing to do with my argument here. 

Murillo was commissioned to paint these paintings for this church.  The paintings are thematically linked, so they belong together.  They fit the argument that the Brother who commissioned them was trying to make, along with other paintings still in the church. 

Whether a national museum is a better place or not to see art is a different argument, though an interesting one also.