Living on La Costa Del Sol and Moving to Barcelona
Posted: 29 May 2009 12:24 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-05-29

Hey there everyone.

I have lived on La Costa Del Sol for around 3 years and i am thinking about moving to Barcelona.

I have been surrounded by brits and have gibralter 30 mins away so i have a pretty easy time of it.

There have been many changes around Sotogrande and surrounding areas in the 3 years i have been here and the place just dosent seem the same.

Less money, which means less people , which means pretty dead.

Time may have come for me and my puppy to uproot and move to another part of spain.

The thing is that my spanish is not great because i havent had chance to really meet any spanish people but i am fancying barcelona.

Andalucia is really nice and chilled and relaxed which makes is good for me but its sometimes a bit too relaxed.
I love how you can just give the police 100 euros if you get a driving offence and i think its so much fun and so ironic watching the police unload shipments of hashish smuggled in from morocco to go and distibute around the area.

The roads are so quiet and gridlock is often when there is 5 cars on the same stretch of road.
I come from the countryside in the uk so i am not familiar with city driving.
I have no shortage of money so i pay to go on the toll roads mostly and they are like my own private racetrack.

This is the chilled lifestyle that i love and has kept me here for so long.

I feel that maybe Barcelona would be somewhere more cultured and maybe more developed.

I would love the internet speeds but i also love the fact that there is an abundance of propery for rent on the costa del sol so you can get a sea front palace for peanuts.

I work at home online so i spend many hours alone studying and writing programs so this creates problems where i need to be able to walk somewhere and have a chat to someone and i have no problems doing that here because everyone speaks english.

What are the benefits, differences and problems of living in a place like barcelona?

Anyone got any feedback?

Posted: 29 May 2009 12:42 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Barcelona for me a nice place to live…

However… If your Spanish is not up to scratch I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you learn it…

English is Spoken but not like Costa del sol.. Infact only the tourist parts… would speak english…

Yes the internet Speeds Are high 10meg up to 25m in some areas…

Barcelona is expensive to live high rent etc if you want the center of Barca…...

I would also recommend studying the area of Barcelona… Visit property sites and see the costs etc…

in some areas of Barcelona for Flats etc you may have to pay the community charges… It does happen that bumps up your rent…

Mac