How much is an apartment in Madrid or Barcelona?
Posted: 29 May 2009 02:52 AM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-05-27

I’m planning to either move to Madrid or Barcelona next year. From what I’ve read, it seems like Barcelona rentals tend to be cheaper than in Madrid. Is that in line what you have experienced? I was wondering if anyone who lives in Madrid or Barcelona might be able to give me a general idea of how much a furnished one bedroom apartment might cost in either of those cities.

I would be interested in living in a fairly urban environment. In a walkable area, with shops and things and/or near a university (as I will be attending one, but not sure which yet.) It doesn’t have to be right in the city center, though.

Also—does furnished mean that all beds, couches, etc. are included? What about things like plates and linens and things?

Secondly, when renting a furnished apartment, are utilities—like heat, water and sewer—usually included or do you have to pay for them yourself?

Also; I was wondering—how much of a premium do you end up paying for a furnished apartment? Is it worth the convenience? Or would it be worth the time and money to buy my own cheapo furniture?

I am afraid of getting an “unfurnished” apartment because I’ve heard that means the kitchen doesn’t come with any cabinets!

Thanks!

Posted: 29 May 2009 03:01 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Hi Sally

Theres a list of property websites etc here on the forum

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/4988/

If you compare Madrid and Barcelona The Prices are Cheaper In Barcelona but so is Madrid if you look on the outskirts of both cities you will see the prices are near enough the same..

I favour Barcelona as it has sea etc…. Madrid for me is like London UK or Coventry… Concret City…

😊

Mac.

Posted: 29 May 2009 03:52 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-05-27

Thanks, by the way. I will browse those sites and try to compare prices for similar type apartments.  I’d also be interested in anything you have to say on the furnished/unfurnished issue.

As far as choosing between the cities.. I do like Barcelona, too. But I might end up choosing Madrid depending on what offers I get for MBA programs I’m applying to.  Also, one upside to Madrid I’ve heard is that it might be easier to learn Spanish there. I am someone who has taken Spanish classes but never put it into practical use.

Posted: 29 May 2009 03:58 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Good Luck what ever you city you go for 😊

Just remember the closer you live to the city the money you pay.. basic month rental is ?1100 as seen in Barca non Furnished…

But like I said on one post the Spanish government are pushing through a taxation law for Landlords/ladies

This does not effect the Tennant only owners… it could go either way Rental up or Down…. Threshold will be around ?450 after that tax deductable…

Its Just a Case of “WHEN” they push it through!