1 2 > 
1 of 2
Help !!!! I am moving out of UK to Malaga !!
Posted: 18 June 2009 01:08 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-06-18

Hi!! Can anyone help me and my friend??!! We are 2 single mums and have had enough of England!! We have decided to give our Children better lives in sunny Malaga…. We are just up and leaving 21st July 09 driving over….. BUT ..... we have sorted nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (yes we are mad!!!!!) we are hoping to just come over, find a b&b;for a few days and find a rental property!! we are looking for a 4 bed villa, close to beach! How does it stand for schooling in Spain? my daughter is 9 in July, will she be ok in a spanish school??????!!
If anyone can help me here I would be soooooooo grateful!! Thanks, Danielle x x x

Posted: 18 June 2009 03:31 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Well welcome to the Forum Ladys , a your kids thay pick up spanish fast , why not hit you loacl town hall library and get some cds on spanish for kids there befor coming over , there lot off english school on the CDS r Malaga are if you got skytv go to channel 795 and get tve , TVE Internacional . Televisi?n Espa?ola like the bbc .  but If your gonna live in Spain send them to a Spanish school .

jurdy

Posted: 18 June 2009 11:51 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

Things here are very hard at the moment ,you also have to remember Spain has over 4 million unemployed and they will not rush to give a Brit a job.You need to consider you health care,dental care and the cost of living here is very high.Food is a lot dearer then back in the UK,not many offers here.
Be very careful with what school you choose,my daughter is due to go to secondary school this year.No way is she going here,i am returing to the UK in three weeks.
The best place to look for rental prop is http://www.surinenglish.com.

Posted: 18 June 2009 09:19 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

also take look at this link aswell it are Real Estate / Property - Sale or Rent area off the Forum
http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewforum/39/

Posted: 20 June 2009 01:18 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

You want a 4 bed villa close to the beach in the summer - you are not just mad…..........PS bring plenty of money. My Spanish niece was quoted 500 euros pm for a bed sit

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 20 June 2009 02:22 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-05

Malaga is a very big city have you any idea where abouts in malaga you are thinking of moving to ,then maybe more people from that area can give you some advice.

Posted: 20 June 2009 03:06 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12
ROB1305 - 20 June 2009 01:18 PM

You want a 4 bed villa close to the beach in the summer - you are not just mad…..........PS bring plenty of money. My Spanish niece was quoted 500 euros pm for a bed sit

I am looking to rent in Malaga

Prices range from ?350 (1 Bed Apartment) to ?3500 (Penthouse and Large Villas/Town Houses) Monthly

For ?500 There is lots of 2 bed apartments near golf courses and beaches! tell your niece to keep looking!!!

The Estate Agents have said there is more Propertys here for Sale/Rent Than there are people!

Apparently there looking at a bigger property crisis than ever as there so much on the market for Sale and for rent…

Its a Tennants market…. “As Told By Estate Agent”

Posted: 22 June 2009 01:01 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

I wouldn`t worry too much about the schools.

You`ll be back in the UK by October.

There are big issues in Malaga at the moment, locals are fed up with Guiri`s, there arn`t many jobs, the beaches have rubbish from the metro building dumped on them, there still dumping raw sewage into the sea and prices have increased.

There`s no better time too move.

Just remember that when you return to the UK you won`t qualify for benifits for 6 months.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 22 June 2009 02:46 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-05

Here here Santi,i move back in july,schools shit,beaches and streets dirty,everything overpriced,no work and many more.
Think, think ,think before you move,life in the UK is not as bad as you think as least you can get your weekly food shop at a good price.

Posted: 22 June 2009 03:10 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

I take it Santi and Pepsi have had a Bad Experience in Malaga….

As for one the Rent prices are not high… on Friday an Estate agent asked me to name my price as the landlords are desperate to rent out…

As for the beaches I really couldnt give a shit… by July they be Sparkling clean…...

Sometimes things do not work out for people in Spain example hubby works in UK Wifey in Spain etc strain and all that

It works for some and not for others!

Posted: 22 June 2009 04:56 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
MAC31 - 22 June 2009 03:10 PM

I take it Santi and Pepsi have had a Bad Experience in Malaga….

My experience wasn`t bad, it certainly isn`t the life many expats are lookin for.

Its hard to get the a real perspective of Spain until you arrive, most expat forum sites are full of commercial motivation, most don`t give accurate accounts.

The beeches in Malaga for instance have had issues for many years, from sewage, all year around.

I only found out what that green slim on the water was when i was there.

It only makes an appearance in the carm waters of summer.

As for the beaches I really couldnt give a shit… by July they be Sparkling clean…...

You joking right, there only clean when the cleaning boats operate, for many years the councils have been askin to have them increased to cope with the sewage waste that is pumped off shore in the summer months as the water treatment works get over worked by the increase in tourism.

Although this year may not be an issue.

It works for some and not for others!

The only expats that survive in Spain workin tend to be home based or international IT people.

Most others are running internet expat forums promoting Spain.

Coming to Spain and expecting the life you get in work in the UK is impossible for a Brit in Spain.

Although this is never mentioned on expat forums, you only find out when you arrive.

I`ve never meet an Expat who for example spent 5 yrs working as a bus driver, then moved to a truck drive for 4 yrs, then worked as ataxi driver.

It does not happen, expats in Spain find maybe one job workin within the expat community in whatever, then leaves.

I`d love to here from an expat who`s worked in Spain for the past 20 yrs within the Spanish community/workplace.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 22 June 2009 05:10 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

life In Spain is what you make it…..

To be honest my Travels around the World I accept what I see and get on with it… There is alot of Plus Points and Minus points in every country…

To be honest my fav part of Spain will always be Barcelona…

With the Property Crash (And Another bigger one to come) its a buyers and Tennants market…...

UK is as bad as here (Slightly better in the UK granted) as if you look on sky news website its all doom and gloom with the job side of things….

Posted: 22 June 2009 05:56 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16
Dani-b - 18 June 2009 01:08 AM

Hi!! Can anyone help me and my friend??!! We are 2 single mums and have had enough of England!! We have decided to give our Children better lives in sunny Malaga…. We are just up and leaving 21st July 09 driving over….. BUT ..... we have sorted nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (yes we are mad!!!!!) we are hoping to just come over, find a b&b;for a few days and find a rental property!! we are looking for a 4 bed villa, close to beach! How does it stand for schooling in Spain? my daughter is 9 in July, will she be ok in a spanish school??????!!
If anyone can help me here I would be soooooooo grateful!! Thanks, Danielle x x x

Wow, there’s a lot of doom, gloom and pent-up rage in these responses! I don’t think it’s that bad, but on the other hand it’s not a holiday when you live here, it’s real life.  Malaga remains a lovely city in many ways - although it’s big and has its share of social problems - but I don’t know where people get the view that it’s more expensive than the UK - I have never found that to be the case even when the pound was at 1 euro at Christmas, and now it’s back to 1.17 or something anyway.  (It may be true that some branded convenience food is dear, but fresh seasonal fruit, veg, meat and fish, coffee, wine, beer etc is all much cheaper.)  However, I think just driving down with kids would be a BIG mistake.  Why not have one of you fly in for a week, find accommodation, check out schools and apply for NIE and bank account to get you started, then fly home, meet up again and then share the drive?  Otherwise it could be a really miserable, confusing and expensive experience - even something as simple as finding a place to park the car that doesn’t cost ?18 a night can be tricky.  In Malaga also you will need to speak Spanish - or are you thinking of the guiri ghettos to the West?  If you’re going out that way there’s a whole different set of problems due to over-development, crashing house prices, illegal building etc.  Oh dear, now I’m sounding as depressing as the rest of them!  The only two pieces of advice worth anything are probably DO PLENTY OF RESEARCH FIRST and LEARN SPANISH.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 22 June 2009 06:03 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

No Hate from me or my posts…

I think its a case of many of us are just pissed off were before this crisis Spain was manageable and now alot of people are feeling the Pinch….

Santi has great points and Opinions that are valuable… 

Many people “As Expats” put alot of effort for the move to Spain… But with the Crisis you get punched in Private Parts.. or get Screwed…

However things are picking up here in Spain “VERY VERY SLOWLY” but things are looking up…. Its a matter of time but patience is needed…

Research and Planning and Most importantly “Spanish Idioma” is needed when moving here…...

Lets face it… When Spain gets back on its feet there be plenty of people running back to start up again…

Posted: 22 June 2009 09:25 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
MAC31 - 22 June 2009 06:03 PM

Santi has great points and Opinions that are valuable…

I try.

I`m fed up with certain forums around that have motives other than accurate advice.

Thankfully this place is better.

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2009 02:13 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

I agree… It is always best to get correct advise….

Sometimes I do not always give it as Most of the time I am P*ssed off with how things are going in Spain…

So I rant… (Like Now For Instance!)

As a half Spaniard me-self I just do not understand why Spain Never sees the wider Picture….

Granted Spain is a Tourism Country but I see more In Spain then Getting Drunk, Rioting, etc with the Tourists…

Spain has the educated People etc but no Investment to keep them here in Spain to drive the Economy…...

Rant over…

Back to helping Malaga People…

1 2 > 
1 of 2