The Padron Explained
Posted: 22 August 2009 10:08 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  194
Joined  2009-05-28

Q. The term padron and empadronarse are terms that keep cropping up as I research our move to Costa Blanca. I know it is a form of registration but I am not sure as to the implications, the benefits if any, or legal requirement to complete the process. Can you shed any light on it?

A. A timely question as it coincides with the British Embassy in Madrid promoting the empadronarse and setting out its reasons for doing so. The padron is not dissimilar to the Electoral Roll: It is simply a register of those people who live in each municipality. Registering is legally required of those who spend more than six months a year in Spain be they property owners, tenants, or long term ?guests?.
It is simply a way for the Town Hall to know how many people live in the municipality in order to meet better the community?s needs. Protected by data protection laws it is not a prying device.
To register, visit the padron desk at your local Town Hall. Take your passport, NIE certificate*, a recent utility bill in your name, and a copy of your deeds or rental contract.
By registering you help yourself and your local community as resources allocated to each municipality are based on the numbers on the empadronamiento. These include better public services, improved access to health care facilities, and a reduction in various taxes plus discounted access to leisure and cultural activities.

* An N.I.E number is merely an easily acquired document required of all with a financial interest in Spain; i.e. bank account, house purchase, rental arrangement, business, etc.

Signature 

Unskilled Story Writers Wanted
http://www.michaelwalsh.es/