Healthcare…HELP!
Posted: 01 September 2009 06:34 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-03-04

Hi all,

I have a bit of an issue. My hubby was made redundant and he’s now working odd jobs here and there for some dodgy geezer who hasn’t given him a contract because it’s not regular or permanent.

Anyway I know he should have a contract but what can we do? Any work is better than no work and at the moment we’re stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The thing is I need to register with a doctor and I don’t have the money to pay for health insurance. Am I right in thinking we can’t get a social security number without a work contract or registering as autonomo? We seriously can’t afford to register as autonomo because he’s lucky if he makes 25 euros a day, I reiterate, LUCKY.

I feel nauseous at the thought of not having healthcare cover when we have children. I want to get it sorted because I’m actually losing sleep over this. I find myself having irrational thoughts about the kids having horrendous accidents and I can’t do anything.

I was considering going with Helicopteros Sanitarios because they’re super cheap per annum, don’t know if I’d have to pay the premium upfront though.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

Emma

Signature 

“Interesting concept Mr Spack, now where do we find a Pelican?”

Insane asylum escapee offering many useless services such as:

Website design, Freelance journalism/content writing/editing and photography

PM me for info
Seeks Babysitter near La Cala for Bratlings.

Posted: 01 September 2009 08:27 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

To get Social Security no as Autonomo you have to pay 250.00 is Euros a month give or take a few Euros.

Without being Employed, self employed or Spanish national you are not entitled to free Health care.

Private healthcare is probably your only option.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”