UNED vs Open Uni.
Posted: 08 October 2009 12:16 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-10-06

((Opps, posted this in the wrong place, sorry, can it be moved))

I have been looking into doing some studying. I have a HNC in Electronics that is equivalent to FPII, tecnico superior. I need to study some more Spanish as it is isn’t good enough, and also study something while I don’t have a job.

So I started looking, the open uni, is very well organised, the web site is very clear, but I’m not resident in the UK therefore the fees are double! Having already studied my HNC get me some points and I can study a “Open Degree” with Spanish and some tech. subjects it is going to cost nearly 5,000 euros in total!!

Then I looked at the UNED, the offices are like hospitals after a bomb has hit, the web site is not very clear, for example you cant find out if they would recognise my previous studies, how much the course would cost. They also do not do an equivalent “Open Degree.” So I choose a course, phoned them up, 18 euros per credit so that works out at 4,500 euros for the course. I have also looked into the “Becas” it depends on how much the family earns, as my wife earns more than the limit I can not apply.

They also do “formaci?n professional” which are courses that give you ECTS points, but if you do a selection of courses it will not give you a degree, so what the point!

So I think i’ll do the Open uni, all of the course are on line.

Anyone got any advice?

Signature 

NRG Photography, provides wedding, creative and portrait photography in Andaluc?a, Spain. All photos are for sale and commission work is undertaken. http://www.nrgphoto.eu