Desperate to communicate regarding moving to Spain
Posted: 07 March 2007 04:27 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2006-05-24

Hi,

I joined a while ago and really wanted to hear in particular from any South Africans living in Spain.
We are really indecisive mainly due to to me! I am terribly worried about my 2 little girls and how they would cope in a Spanish school. Is there anyone who has been in a similar predicament and could give me some information or reassurance?

Posted: 07 March 2007 06:38 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2007-02-13

Hi South

Im not from South Africa but I know exactly how you feel, I’m in the process of selling my house to move to Spain with my husband and 2 boys, my eldest is 7 and will go to a Spanish school and im petrified for him, but kids are resiliant and everyone I’ve spoken to have said how quickly their children settled in and could speak Spanish brilliantly after just a few months.  I’ve got him watching the Muzzy Spanish dvds at the moment so he will hopefully be able to manage the basics before we move x Terri

Posted: 07 March 2007 06:47 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-03-07

Hi, I moved to Spain nearly 4 years ago with an 11 year old and 5 year old. They both started at spanish school without any problems, I was worrying totally unnecessarily. They are now both fluent and love spanish life. Depending on where you are moving to, most schools here now have expats so there are normally english speaking pupils to help them settle in. Good luck with the move. :coolsmile:

Posted: 08 March 2007 03:26 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-02-25

Hi Iohega

I am looking to move to Spain with 4 children, ranging from 5 to 17 years. You mention some schools are good with expat kids can you tell me of any areas that would be better for schools that they would find easier to settle in and a good english/spanish ratio

Thanks Caz

Posted: 08 March 2007 12:22 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-05-24

😊 Thank you Tezza and logeha!

Its so nice to have some reassurance.

Tezza, what part of Spain are you going to and where are you moving from? logeha, whereabouts are you situated?
My girls are 6 going 7 and 4 years old. I’m terrified for both - especially the little one as she hasn’t even started to read and write in English yet! I’m worried about how their written English will fare because what happens if say you move from Spain when they are a bit older - back to English speaking country?

Look forward to chatting with you!

Posted: 08 March 2007 05:21 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-03-07

Hi, I am on the Costa Blanca in a place called Quesada, Rojales. It’s probably a bit too english here to be perfectly honest but there are lots of surrounding areas ie Montesinos, Benijofar, Almoradi, Guardamar where there is a good balance of spanish to english in the schools. My son couldn’t read or write english when he came out and he’s doing fine now. I take him to a tutor once a week to help him as the schools do not provide extra help for expats like they would in the UK.
Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Posted: 08 March 2007 06:29 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2007-02-13

Hi South

Im not 100% sure what area in Costa Blanca yet but have been looking at urbanisations around Torrevieja possibly Oriheula Costa, me and my husband are hoping to go for a few days to take a closer look within the 8 weeks or so and then we’ll hopefully have a definate idea.  I’m in the process of selling my house at the moment so theres not really a lot I can do until we atleast accept an offer on it which is getting really frustrating now just waiting around xx

Posted: 09 March 2007 11:02 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-05-24

My in-laws have just moved to Southern Spain - just out of Velez-Malaga so it would make some kind of sense for us
to move near them in the beginning - for some support! It doesn’t seem a very popular area though with other expats
because I haven’t heard from anyone staying in this area :long:

Posted: 12 March 2007 12:31 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2007-02-25

Hi,

Very difficult time for you, but as a previous thread said, chidren are very resilient and they will get by, english is widely spoken in the Costa Blanca South in the area you want to look at, though if you move just inland a little, say Almoradi or Algorfa, then you will have a good mix of both Spanish and english children.

If you need help in your search, then contact me on .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and I can put you in touch with an english guy who sells property and has spent some time in South Africa.

Good luck making up your mind.

Dave

Signature 

http://www.damattproperty.com
http://www.rentproperty-spain.com

Posted: 12 March 2007 10:18 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-05-24

Thanks Dave! Think you’re all right - kids are resiliant - pity about the mom’s though!! Haha
Will keep your address on hand - though we would probably look to rent for a bit until we know for sure what area we would like to settle in.

Posted: 14 July 2007 06:39 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-10-09

Hi,
I have been reading with interest about taking children to Spain and putting them in Spanish schools.
I have a 10 year old and 12 year old who is almost in her second year at high school.
We would like to move around the Murcia area of Spain but the schooling thing is really bothering me.
Would they integrate ok at their age, at the moment they don’t speak any Spanish although I am trying to learn the basics.
Also my husband is an HGV driver but would maybe like to get into driving taxis etc.
I will probably be a stay at home mum for the time being to enable the rest of the family to settle in well.
My job at the mo is admin for the civil service although we have run a couple of pubs in the UK, I really need to know what sort of thing I should be looking at when I eventually return to work.
Any advice whatsoever would be hugely appreciated as my head is spinning now.
Many thanks
Evos

Posted: 19 July 2007 11:20 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Spanish Schools

Whilst we did not the worries of putting children into Spanish school (as they are grown up) we do have experience of helping clients register their children into school and we have seen them happily settle down, learn Spanish and in fact prefer it to their previous English schools. They have made Spanish friends, whom they help with English homework and vice versa! and their families get invited to the BBQs.

It is natural to worry about children but as other people have said they are resilient and soon adapt to their new surroundings. Yes the Costa Blanca area has a lot of English speaking people (many of whom are other nationalities i.e. Dutch etc) with their children at school but don?t forget you the adults will want someone to speak to and maybe clients if you are starting a business!

The schools are modern, well equipped and fully staffed and you do have the option of private schools as well. 

I do not think that schools and children adapting is a major reason not to consider relocating.

I asked one of our clients to comment to add first hand experience to this posting:

Happy for you to include ‘a client’s’ comments and propose the following.

.... Moved to Spain and choose to live in an area where we knew there would be a large number of English speaking neighbours. Our main concern was our (then) four-year old son, who was leaving his friends behind in the UK. We enrolled our son into a Spanish school (with help from Best Choice Villas) and it was with a high degree of concern that we took him on his first day to start full-time school, in a school where they would not speak his vernacular and where he would not have any friends.

We need not have worried. Within a short time, he had made friends with children of many nationalities, not just Spanish and British, and was beginning to speak the Spanish language. Now, two years on, he is fluent in the language, can switch between Spanish and English, and even speaks with that distinctive Spanish sound from the back of the throat.

I cannot contrast the teaching he receives against what he would have had back in England, but I can say that we are very impressed with his level of general knowledge, his social skills, his reading and writing achievements and the fact that he also has a education in a foreign language - English, from the age of 5. Could this be why the continent is so far ahead of the UK when it comes to being able to speak a foreign language.

Of course it was hard at first, but young children learn fast and we, his parents, are 100 percent convinced we have the best thing possible for our child.

Hope this is of use.

Dave.

END.

Hope this helps with your decision and Good luck with your moves.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 02 February 2008 01:25 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-02-02

Hi

I am considering moving to Benalmadena with my 11yr old daughter in July of this year, i have just returned from a short visit and love the area but am worried about whether my daughter will settle. I have read a few stoies of bullying and this is making me very anxious. I am viiting again in March and wil be taking my daughter with me hopefully to meet other english children who have relocated to Spain. I know that children can experience bullying wherever they live but also whilst i was in Benalmadena i met with a real estate agent and she told me to prepare myslf for my daughter to be bullid for the first six months, as you can imagine i was horrified!!! We were looking at buying a business out there but have now decided to just live there for six months working before we take the plunge and committ. I would really appreciate any avice you can give me on this matter. 

Thanks

Posted: 05 February 2008 08:43 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-02-05

It’s worth getting as many opinions on the above question by visiting other forums covering other areas. Try http://www.timspain.com as they tend to cover a different area but still the costa blanca. Different views from different people are always good.