Filipino with spanish grandfather
Posted: 09 February 2010 09:37 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-02-09

Hi! i am a filipino citizen 33yrs of age. my grandfather was born in spain and married a filipina. My dad and all his siblings (all were born here in the philippines) got their spanish passports late in the late 1990’s along with all my cousins who were under 18 at that time. Unfortunately for me, when this transaction took place, I was already past 18 and couldn’t qualify (i dont know why?). I am now wondering if there is still hope for me to get a spanish passport after all this time and what steps do i need to take? i have my grandfathers birth certificate and my dad’s (who’s now deceased) spanish passport with me. any advice? btw i dont speak spanish 😊 but plan to take some courses again 😊 thanks!

Posted: 10 February 2010 05:03 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

veds,
at that time the law on citizenship was modified and you were not qualified then.
get your grandfather’s and father’s spanish birth certificate and go to the spanish embassy in manila (in makati) and ask if you can qualify for citizenship under the the present law. you will have to fill in forms in spanish to apply for it so you will have to take a crash course in spanish if you wish to migrate (it is not easy and you will have to endure culture shock and learn fast).