Moving to Costa Del Sol
Posted: 21 February 2010 11:00 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-02-21

I am working with an American company who wants to re-locate my family and I to Marbella for work.
I was hoping to get an idea of the lifestyle in Marbella and the cost of living.  We currently live in Miami, FL, USA, and have heard that Marbella is very expensive.

Does anyone know anything about the education system?  We found Aloha College (which seems good for my 3 & 4 year old).

I have heard mixed reviews about the Spanish people toward Americans.  Some say they admire American work ethic and others say that I will be engaging in foreign politics discussions all day while being insulted (yikes!!)

Any comments about the area would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 21 February 2010 08:46 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2010-01-25
charyabb - 21 February 2010 11:00 AM

I have heard mixed reviews about the Spanish people toward Americans.  Some say they admire American work ethic and others say that I will be engaging in foreign politics discussions all day while being insulted (yikes!!)

I can’t help you with the Marbella questions, but can comment on anti-American attitudes here. The most important thing to keep in mind is that folks over here are far more… direct?... when they say things. It takes some time to get used to the major stereotypes folks have about the US over here, but you’ll learn to “pick your battles.” My boyfriend hated America before coming to meet my family this summer and now he might just be our greatest spokesperson.

Have you lived abroad before? I was in Canada, and things were worse there.

Posted: 22 February 2010 12:29 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-02-21

Have you lived abroad before? I was in Canada, and things were worse there.[/quote]

We have never live abroad before.  I have traveled all throughout North & Central America (mostly in search of good surf), but only been to Paris and Madrid before. 

There seems to be a lot of British people in the Costa del Sol (from what I can tell), which is great….but Americans have a good reputation for rubbing everyone the wrong way.  I just need to figure out what battles to pick and which ones to let go.  Not all Americans are arrogant and inconsiderate….although having traveled a little bit…..I can certainly see why other people think that.  We will just have to live by example….and let others know that some Americans are different…..althought that is an up-hill battle.

Posted: 22 February 2010 01:15 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-25
charyabb - 22 February 2010 12:29 AM

There seems to be a lot of British people in the Costa del Sol (from what I can tell), which is great….but Americans have a good reputation for rubbing everyone the wrong way.  I just need to figure out what battles to pick and which ones to let go.  Not all Americans are arrogant and inconsiderate….although having traveled a little bit…..I can certainly see why other people think that.  We will just have to live by example….and let others know that some Americans are different…..althought that is an up-hill battle.

Just be a good neighbor and you should be fine. Do you speak Spanish? That’ll get you a long way.
And get used to being called British. People are shocked when they learn where I’m from!

Posted: 22 February 2010 08:20 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-02-21

I speak more Spanish than the average American.  I took twelve years of it in school and 10 trips to Costa Rica have helped (not to mention we live in Miami, FL which has a huge Latin American society).  Funny thing is that I am from Norwegian & German decent, so everyone is shocked when a pale skined, blonde haired guy starts speaking in Spanish.  It is funny.

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me.  I appreciate it.

Posted: 22 February 2010 08:16 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-25

If you’re moving down south, it won’t be that shocking to see a blonde.
I live on the northern coast and constantly get the “are you lost?” look.

Best of luck with the move.

Posted: 24 February 2010 04:31 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-11-23

Hi Charyabb

I agree with the rest of the comments posted. The good thing about living in the Costa del Sol is that we are used to live with people coming from many countries (due to this fact, our economy has grown considerably, so we all should be glad about it). Bast majority of the Spanish people welcome expats to our country, especially in the Costa del Sol. However, we are not an exception and you will find people with a very close mentality as in anywhere else.

Welcome to our country and I hope you enjoy living with us.

Javier Moya
Lawyer